Flash Sync issue with triggers?

ptl2010

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have 2 flashes, a YN560 and a Polaroid 144az. I have a set of radio triggers that came with my Polaroid flash. The camera I am using is a Canon t3i.

Here is my issue. When using the radio triggers with the YN560 I am getting a sync issue, where it wont sync over 1/125th of a second. When the flash is mounted directly on the camera, I can go all the way up to the max flash sync (1/200). When I use the same triggers with the 144az, I can sync all the way up to 1/200. If I use the triggers with the 144az and the YN560 as a slave to the 144az using it's built in optical trigger, both sync up to the max 1/200. I verified this by putting the 144az in a shoe box, cutting a hole in one side, putting the YN560 up against that hole, and pointing the flash at a wall opposite of the hole so none of the light from the 144az would be captured in the image but it could still trigger the yn560s optical trigger.

So to sum it all up, my YN560 can be used directly on camera or as a slave to a flash on a radio trigger and sync up to the max sync speed, but when it is used on the trigger itself it cannot sync over 1/125th.

Does anyone have any idea why this is? Is it something with my triggers? I feel that since it can sync directly on camera and as a slave, that the flash itself is fine. But the fact that the 144az works fine with the triggers still confuses me. Should I just get another set of triggers and see what happens?

Issues like this are fairly common with th consumer-grade flash triggers. They're annoying, but there's not much that can be done short of upgrading to a higher-quality trigger such as a Pocket Wizard or Radio popper. Chances are, it's going to be easiest overall just to live with it.

Thanks, I know I can get by with it this way since it's used in the studio so the shutter doesn't effect the exposure (no/very little ambient light), but I just thought it was strange it would sync with one flash and not another.

Already tried new batteries in the triggers, and both Flashes also have freshly charged Enloop batteries in them. I'm just not sure why the trigger can communicate better with the 144az over the YN560. Thankfully I only use the YN560 as a slave to the 144az, I just thought this was really strange.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back