FNL - 2nd round of play-offs - Image heavy

ronlane

What's next?
Reaction score
Website
www.lane-images.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Without looking at scores and the schedule, this may be the last football game of the year. I'm still working to improve and the one thing that I wanted to do this weekend was to shoot in jpeg and get good usable images. This is something that has been killing me so it was my focus tonight. I shot raw on the CF card and jpeg on the SD card tonight. It did slow down the camera's fps but I knew that going in. Here are a few from the jpeg images. (I haven't downloaded the RAW files from the card yet)

1) Pass defense/break-up
JHMS-SHS-69.jpg

2) Forcing a fumble.
JHMS-SHS-76.jpg

3) Get that ball.
JHMS-SHS-77.jpg

4)
JHMS-SHS-110.jpg

5)
JHMS-SHS-141.jpg

6)
JHMS-SHS-144.jpg

7)
JHMS-SHS-146.jpg

8)
JHMS-SHS-147.jpg

9)
JHMS-SHS-156.jpg

10)
JHMS-SHS-187.jpg

11)
JHMS-SHS-220.jpg

12)
JHMS-SHS-224.jpg

These are all really good shots Ron !!!! Curious as to why the need to shoot in both jpg and RAW, are you going to try and match your editing of the RAW to the jpg for practice ?

These are all really good shots Ron !!!! Curious as to why the need to shoot in both jpg and RAW, are you going to try and match your editing of the RAW to the jpg for practice ?

Thanks BillM,

I have shot raw images pretty much from the start and even when I was started shooting sports. The images were better quality in my opinion. I have tried to shoot jpeg images a few times and was very displeased with the jpeg results.

After talking and learning from other sports photographers, I had decided to try and get quality results from jpeg. Until I am able to consistently do that, I have decided to shoot raw + jpeg, so that I can have a back-up raw image.

Again, It's been two weeks and I still haven't processed the raw files from the above shoot.

I hear you on the raw jpeg issue. I still shoot raw, mainly for the crappy light situations and the white balance adjustment.

Nice set!

Thank you.

I hear you on the raw jpeg issue. I still shoot raw, mainly for the crappy light situations and the white balance adjustment.

I think that is what I was struggling with. I felt like I made improvements with this set.

I have a state championship game about 7-8 miles from my house on Saturday at 1 pm, that I think I am going to go shoot so I can hopefully get some good light.

I also shoot in RAW for processing (cropping, WB, adjustments, etc.)

Nice looking set.

I shoot in raw because I don't see any benefit to not shooting in raw but I do see benefit to shooting in raw. If I want jpg or tiff I'll make them in PS.
Not shooting any quantity these days so raw is no problem.

dennybeall, raw does have plenty of benefits. What I was trying to do is understand and learn how others are getting really good photos of these sporting events and shooting them in jpeg.

It is my understanding that most professionals shoot football games in jpeg to help speed up their processing and getting the images out for newspaper and magazines. I just want to be able to say that I have the skills necessary to do this as well.

Most reactions

Back