I notice on my 50mm 1.8 when I move the focus ring, It does zoom in slightly / out
However I cannot decide wither this is caused by the subjects being pulled into focus and pushed out of focus creating the illusion of zoom or what...
point the picture is pulled inward.. I just tested it and if you don't move the camera the picture is definitely going to be "closer" depending on the lens focus.
Here's some shots I just took (yeah they're crappy but I'm just trying to show something.)
First is lens turned to focus close, 2nd is a longer focus.
If you look at the lens in the front, when you turn it, it DOES move forward and back. So the lens gets closer and farther away... I'm completely new at photography so these other guys can explain why, but I'm guessing that is what is causing this change.