Focus and recompose with a SLR

rvilela

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, 2nd post here in the forum and now with a doubt.

Starting now to shoot in film and I've tried to find a answer on the web without a great results.

As the tittle of the topic say, with an SLR (in my case Olympus OM-10), to have the subject well sharp and in focus can I do like a DSLR, focus the subject and after recompose?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Yeah, film camera works the same as digital cameras. Just has film instead of a sensor.

Pretty sure focus-recompose is going to be your only option with the OM-10, since it's manual focus and has a split prism focusing screen...

edit
If it were autofocus and had multiple focus points, it would be possible to focus without needed to recompose - but since it's manual focus, and has a split prism screen, you can only focus on things that are within that split prism area. If you don't want the subject to be dead center every time, recomposing is required.

Last edited:
the laws of optics are the same for digital and film.

Thank You for the replies.

My doubt was about, as OM-10 is fully manual I do not know if I could use the same technique like the DSLRs (AF system).

Now the doubts are gone, thanks again. :thumbup:

FYI, you can manual focus without having to use the center point. Just compose, then turn the focus till your subject is clear wherever it sits (the subject) in the ground glass. The split prism in the center just makes it easier.

FYI, you can manual focus without having to use the center point. Just compose, then turn the focus till your subject is clear wherever it sits (the subject) in the ground glass. The split prism in the center just makes it easier.

It works also nice for sure.

Thank You for the tips.

The direct answer to your question is "yes", but there's a bit missing from both your question and the answer to really be useful.

F&R was used long before digital cameras were around. As has already been stated, older cameras only had a focusing system in the center of the frame, making F&R a necessity. However, there's a problem with F&R. If you're using a 35mm or 50mm with a very wide aperture, say, f/2, then your subject may go out of focus when you recompose. This is a problem regardless of whether the camera is digital or film.

With a modern camera with multiple focus points, the solution is to select a focus point that is on or close to the area you want in focus. In that way you don't need to recompose (or if you do, it's very slight.) And again, this is true for both film and digital.

So missing from your question is the focal length and aperture and shooting distance that you'll be shooting at. If you're shooting 35/50mm with f/1.8 lenses at 4-5 feet or so, then F&R will work but you may need to front-focus a small amount to keep the image sharp. If you notice that your images are not sharp (which, of course, you'll only be able to assess once you get your film and pictures back) then you can just lean forward 2-3 inches while focusing and then straighten up to recompose. It doesn't sound like much...and it's not...but the combination of aperture, focal length, and distance is creating a very shallow DOF.

Thank You for the useful and detailed explanation.

I like to read responses like this (and the previous replies, of course), it helps to broaden my knowledge.

Thank You all.

If you're eyesight is good enough, you can focus outside the split prism, I've got a couple focusing screens for my contax, one totally matte, the other with a prism, and I've been using the standard matte for about a week now and alot of times it's easier than the split.

If you're eyesight is good enough, you can focus outside the split prism, I've got a couple focusing screens for my contax, one totally matte, the other with a prism, and I've been using the standard matte for about a week now and alot of times it's easier than the split.

Thank You for the tip reply.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back