Focus, focus, focus

Congrats, Keith! Another home run. Someone's gonna have to check if you're using photographic steriods!:thumbup:

You put a lot of empahsis on the tripod... you go so far as to say, "pros use a tripod most of the time". Granted, my experience with pros is limited to wedding photographers and portrait studios, I have never seen a tripod used by a pro outside of a studio. I have seen, on a few occasions, the use of a monopod, but never do I recall a tripod.

This raises a few questions to many of the pros here, is it true that you use tripods most of the time?

Do tripods really render much sharper images most of the time?

Well, I'm not a pro, but I love stealing good ideas, and most of the pros that I've met and talked to told me that a tripod is the most under-used aid (by most photographers), and one that they use very frequently. There are some exceptions: a studio situation with good, even light; or a fast-moving sports event where you're not using the high (400mm+ ) focal lengths. The benefits of a tripod (besides holding the camera still), are ability to carefully compose the image, take multiple images with different settings from the same vantage point, and be able to use low-ISO values even under poor light.

One of the pros does extensive travel photography. He told me that using the tripod forces him to concentrate on the image and the perspective. Another pro uses the tripods to help him snag the wild-life photographs on which his reputation and income depend. Still another, a fashion photographer, tells us that it's a very good way of controlling the composition.

Personally, I'm sold. Until I joined the local photo club and SAW these people using their equipment, I remained sceptical of the benefits of the tripod. Since I've been using the tripod, my keeper rate has gone up as the tripod allows me time to consider the composition, lighting, and other factors, and adjust them as needed.

As far as weddings go,...I just cannot see ourselves running around catching artistically candid shots as they occur with our bodies mounted. For the traditional stuff, sure. A ton of shots would be missed.

P1030353sm.jpg

Thanks Kieth! :thumbup:

Awesome blog and yet another contribution to my own personal debate on why I want to go spend the money and get a nice tripod. Right now I only have the El cheapo from wallyworld that my wife bought me. Can't blame her, she has no idea the difference. After working on water drop photos with the cheapo tripod, I am really going to try to find a decent tripod, but more importantly, the ball head. My tripod kept me on my toes as I constantly had the feeling the weight of my gear was too much for the tripod.

You put a lot of empahsis on the tripod... you go so far as to say, "pros use a tripod most of the time". Granted, my experience with pros is limited to wedding photographers and portrait studios, I have never seen a tripod used by a pro outside of a studio. I have seen, on a few occasions, the use of a monopod, but never do I recall a tripod.

This raises a few questions to many of the pros here, is it true that you use tripods most of the time?

It is self explanatory. Try taking a photo of a subject and see if it is possible with a tripod. If not then forget the tripod. If it makes sense then a tripod is called for. A person staking out an animal trail would probably have everything adjusted and mounted on a tripod for a wait of hours. A person taking photos of butterflies in a field- probably hand held.

Two points:
  1. There are pro's (meaning they get paid to shoot regardless their level of expertise), and there are pros (experts at what they do).
  2. Obviously, not all shooting situations are amenable to using a tripod. Consequently, when a tripod is not used one cannot expect tack sharp images consistantly straight out of any camera.
In the studo, professional photographers don't use a tripod, because even a good tripod is not stable enough for them. They use a camera stand.

Most reactions

Back