Focus in wildlife shots using 70-300 MM zoom on D 7000

expat42451

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Did some wildlife today, mainly birds and squirrels. I am new to the camera and even newer to the 70-300 VR ED. All shots were of birds or squirrels on the ground. Many were frm 15-30' away from the camera. When I uploaded the shots I was disappointed in lack of sharpness which I think is a focus problem rather than motion. I shot on AF-auto. I am guessing I need to shoot AF-S only using the center focus cell and put that right on the target. I was shootinhg in a park here around 10 AM, no clouds, good light and shooting down on everything I took. I made the shots zoomed in to where the birds and squirrels were as close to full frame as possible. I also was shooting program mode. Suggestions very welcome. Thanks to all for the expertise here.

Expat42451

How fast was the shutter speed? Don't shoot in p mode YOU need to take control.

Slowest was 1/100. Focus mode AF-A. VR on. Highest shutter around 1/160th. ISO auto and depending on the shot was around 320. Aperture F 5.6.Metering Matrix (again spot would have been better but the exposure was fine).

Thanks for the interest and suggestion. I have shot manual mode with the camera and it is easier for me because of what I was used to from the film days. Just not as quick.

Expat42451

These were all taken with a Nikkor 300mm f/4 mounted on D300. Distances varied from ~30 yards to ~75 yards. Shutter speed is certainly a factor in the mix, as is a steady hand or a support (mono or tripod).

610693647_AdpR8-L.jpg

704650852_jrrzW-L.jpg

fox%20den-8-L.jpg

Jesus those are nice...... I was shooting freehand. Looks like a monopod or tripod is next for the kit as all of the stuff from my film days is gone.

Expat

expat, what focal length were you shooting at?

Generally your shutter speed should atleast equil your focal length.

Kundalini beautiful work :)

Willis_927 many thanks for that...I seem to remember that now (in retrospect) from years ago when I was shooting film. My absence from the hobby has allowed forgetfulness :) Many thanks for that ....now if I could just figure out how to post photos here (I dont have the attachment option).

Expat

I always seem to forget the focal length = shutter speed rule when I am out shooting as well!

I ve forgotten so much of what little I knew I dont even remember what I may have forgotten.........

Jesus I am in awe !!!! you have some pretty quick glass as well.......I am still waiting for the dragonflies to emerge here on the Gulf Coast...so far ...not...a ...one.
Expat

Most reactions

New Topics

Back