Focus Issues

DR_Malibu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I was wondering with the settings on my Canon 60D I have a 9 point focus area or whatever you call it lol. Should it always be on Manual just the one dot in the middle? Or should it be on automatic? I was trying to take a pic of the ocean with everything in focus and it was on Auto but there was blurry areas....PLease help!!

It depends what kind of photos you are taking. In general if you leave it to auto the camera will attempt to find the nearest thing it can where it can detect a difference in contrast and lock onto that (which is why cameras are poor at getting a lock onto big mono-colour surfaces with no shadowing/contrast differences to detect).

Most people set it to single point and use the middle point (or on higher end bodies the outer points for creative freedom) so that they can point the camera at the subject to tell it what you want in focus.

For a landscape type shot however, where you want a deep depth in focus you'll be best served looking up hyperfocal focusing (a bit hit and miss with DSLRs as modern lenses don't have the focus scales marked on them) but this method will give you the maximum depth of field for a given aperture and can make a key difference with regard to landscape type photos.

However for the seascape photo it would help to have a look at it - might be that your aperture was too wide open or that your shutter speed was too slow and introduced motion blur as opposed to depth of field blur.

You may double check the aperture value. Generally you need f16 for landscape photos.

Personally I don't let the camera choose the focal point. I leave it set on the middle focal point, but if I decide that I need another I will change it. But I never leave it on auto. For landscapes I would pick the middle focal point, and focus on a subject far back. Also keeping the aperture small

Photography is a lot harder to do well, and/or consistantly, if you don't understand how the camera and lens works.

Yes I have read and taken everyones advice. Sometimes easier for me to read it flat out. Sorry if it bothered anyone :/

Most reactions

Back