Bluepoole
TPF Noob!
- Joined
- Dec 10, 2007
- Messages
- 31
- Reaction score
- 0
- Can others edit my Photos
- Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,
When shooting with my Canon 17-85mm lens, and also with my 430EX II Speedlite attached, I found that the lens struggle to focus in very low light conditions, so some of my photos turn out somewhat out of focus (not completely blurry, but obviously not great). I try to use manual focus or even adjust the focus slightly with the lens' focus ring, but I struggle to see if the focus is correct, because the scene through my viewfinder is dark.
I shoot in manual mode, aperture at f4.0, shutter speed 1/100 and ISO 400 or 800.
Is there a way to overcome this? I thought of changing the camera's AF point to the middle of the frame (as oppose to Auto select), because it might try to focus on light coming from the side of the frame, instead of on the subject which is in the centre, but very dark.
Also, which drive mode and which metering mode would your recommend under such circumstances?
Thank you in advance for all the replies!
When shooting with my Canon 17-85mm lens, and also with my 430EX II Speedlite attached, I found that the lens struggle to focus in very low light conditions, so some of my photos turn out somewhat out of focus (not completely blurry, but obviously not great). I try to use manual focus or even adjust the focus slightly with the lens' focus ring, but I struggle to see if the focus is correct, because the scene through my viewfinder is dark.
I shoot in manual mode, aperture at f4.0, shutter speed 1/100 and ISO 400 or 800.
Is there a way to overcome this? I thought of changing the camera's AF point to the middle of the frame (as oppose to Auto select), because it might try to focus on light coming from the side of the frame, instead of on the subject which is in the centre, but very dark.
Also, which drive mode and which metering mode would your recommend under such circumstances?
Thank you in advance for all the replies!
Last edited:
