What's new

Focusing on the D70- 18-70

Familyphotog

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 23, 2010
Messages
95
Reaction score
0
Location
East Coast
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I feel stupid posting this, but I thought I can't learn anything without asking. When I am adjusting the focus on the small ring I feel like I am just turning and turning....I don't know why but I feel like it is not in focus most of the time. My photos look grainy and I feel like twisting the focus is not getting me anywhere sometimes. My polarizing filter is also stuck on the lens so I don't know if maybe that's it...
 
sample pix plox
 
First of all, may I ask why you're not using auto-focus? Modern digital cameras tend to work much better in auto-focus than in manual, especially since they don't come with split-prism focusing screens anymore. The focusing ring will turn infinitely, but at each 'end' of it's travel (that is at the point of minimum focus and infinity) you should feel a slight change in tension.

The CPOL may be having an effect; why is it stuck on? Is it damaged, or just over-tight? Try wrapping a thin rubber band around the filter and using that to give you some additional grip. As well, make sure it's nice and warm (as in hot room warm, NOT heat gun, flame, or heater warm). Both of those may help.
 
It is not an AF lens, it's manual. I will certainly try the rubber band idea.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom