Focusing

3bayjunkie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.colbyjack.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is an interesting topic. Ive tried focusing my camera lenses every possible way i can think of and im sure many others have as well. I started out quite a few years ago with single focus, not moving my focal point and just recomposing after getting focus. Now this worked fine at f/5.6 and higher and if shooting a stationary subject, but moving targets became a bit more difficult.

I had an older manual focus 50mm f/1.4 ai and i don't know if it was the lens but i dis a lot of manual focusing because i had to and even though the camera says it was focused i missed focus on quite a few shots. At least half the time when the light in the viewfinder read focuses, it was not.

Another way which i have been focusing more recently is using the continuous focusing servo and changing my focal point to where on my subject i want focus. This works great unless you want to focus on a point that is out of the range of your focusing screen. Mainly the corners of the frame.

So i thought, since im a big fan of jose villa's work that i would ask how he focuses. He is a world famous wedding photographer and he manually focuses 100% of the time. Now i found that very interesting. So i guess ill give manual focusing another try. With my new gear. But i figure this would be quite difficult when shooting sports.

What are all of your thoughts on focusing and how do you do it?

I use single-servo AF and a single focusing point (put where I want the point of critical focus to be) 99% of the time. Manually focusing modern equipment is, IMO, adding needless difficulty and risk to your work since we don't have any of those useful aids like split-prism focusing screens. AF works so well that I don't see any reason not to let it do its job.

I agree. Rather than using manual focusing because some fancy wedding photographer does, I'd suggest using the camera's AF system as often as you can...it's just a matter of finding techniques that work for you.

I use the back button to activate the focus and most often, I use AI Servo and manually switching of AF points...although, I'll often use the focus and recompose technique as well.

I use single-servo AF and a single focusing point (put where I want the point of critical focus to be) 99% of the time. Manually focusing modern equipment is, IMO, adding needless difficulty and risk to your work since we don't have any of those useful aids like split-prism focusing screens. AF works so well that I don't see any reason not to let it do its job.

I do that as well, but I have other features on my camera that help: I have automatic face detection autofocus and exposure, an auto-tracking subject focus for fast moving people or objects, and I have a fine point macro-adjust for particular lenses.

skieur

tirediron said:

That is how i used to focus. But if you read above you will see the issues ive run into throughout the years. I think i made some good points about how practicing manual focusing can prove to create a more fluid work flow.

The issues you cite indicate to me that you may need to check the lenses that give you trouble for possible focus calibration issues that c:an probably be corrected with your camera body.

Buckster said:
The issues you cite indicate to me that you may need to check the lenses that give you trouble for possible focus calibration issues that c:an probably be corrected with your camera body.

I was thinking that exact same thing. It seemed way off. Although sometimes focuses just fine. I since have upgraded bodies and lenses so well see how i do with manual focusing with my sigma 70-210mm f/2.8. The auto focus on this lens is slow as molasses. My 50mm f/1.8 however is just a piece of crap. I think i will sell it and get an FD adapter and 50mm f/1.2 FD lens for $350

Might be a silly question here: do you wear glasses ? Have you played with your diopter ?

Kolia said:
Might be a silly question here: do you wear glasses ? Have you played with your diopter ?

No and no. It was most likely just the lens/ body compatability issue. Im not looking for help focusing. In just getting a topic going because i know everyone has there own little tricks to focusing and thought it would be fun to share. Ive shared my progression. Now it your alls turn :)

Exactly. Since most camera nowadays have little manual focus assist, if the view finder isn't perfectly clear who knows what we're actually focussing on ?

Kolia said:
Exactly. Since most camera nowadays have little manual focus assist, if the view finder isn't perfectly clear who knows what we're actually focussing on ?

I calibrated my manual focus by using the focus confirmation beep and circle. It beeps and also shows a small circle on the bottom of the viewfinder when correct focus is achieved in both manual and auto-single.

So i changed my diopter setting to coincide with the focus achievement. Also you can calibrate your viewfinder by looking at the little numbers and dashes in the viewfinder display. Adjust your diopter until they become as sharp as you can get them and then you will be able to manual focus with no problem.

Thanks,
Cj

That's assuming your AF is actually working properly.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back