Focussing subject while blurring the background

Cool G5

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.gauravlive.com
I have seen photographs having a blurred background while the subject is foccussed ultra sharp. No they are not macro shots, but normal shots in which the object is given preference over the background.

I want to take such shots. Can you tell me how to setup the camera for the same. I don't know anything about photography.

If you are using a dslr then you would need the bigger apertures either in manual mode or aperture priority. The larger the aperture (low f stops) the less focussed the background will be.

Or if you have a DSLR, turn the knob to take an automatic closeup (the icon for this is usually a little flower), get as close to the subject as your lens recommends and take the shot. I would look for some sort of contrast between the subject and its background if possible.

this of course can work the other way, sharp background, blurry foreground

Yep, that's called "shallow" or "low" depth of field. As has been said, that is mainly caused by the aperature.

The effect can also be enhanced by having the subject much closer to the camera than it is to the background. A telephoto lens will increase this effect when combined with the large aperature.

If you don't have ability to change the aperature on your camera, then I would experiment with using the telephoto end of your zoom lens, but move the subject as close to the camera as it will focus, while keeping the subject as far as possible from the background.

Good luck and have fun!

@Bjorkfiend - I do not own a Canon G5 though my name indicates it.

I own a Canon SX 100 IS. I think it has the lowest aperture of 2.8. So should I try clicking photographs on F 2.8?

yes for blurry background shallow DOF use the 2.8 setting

Everything about the Depth Of Field is written here except the affect of the sensor size. As you know PS cameras (like yours) have very little sensor when compared by the DSLR's. Generally you can not get very nice blurry area (aka bokeh) by PS cameras when compared by the DSLR's. Technically they give the same DOF but when the sensor gets bigger, it sees more angle and so the blurry area is bigger. So don't get surprised when you cannot get the same bokeh by the photos taken by DSLRs.

And yes, you must use the wide open aperture (the smallest f number) setting to have shallow DOF but don't forget that lenses give their worst performance on the widest apertures (generally best performance at f5.6 to f8). Generally one stop higher gains a lot about sharpness and image quality.

Best.

The most important aspect is actually NOT aperture. I can create the blur at f8 easily by using a long lens and getting close to the subject! Magnification is everything.

Unfortunately compact cameras have a very restricted ability to blur backgrounds due to the size of the very small sensor! However you maY BE ABLE TO DO IT.

Set your lens to it's max aperture and also zoom to your lenses longest focal length.

Now get as close to the subject as possible making sure that there is nothing in the background - or at least make sure you are a metres away from any background wall or such like......

this will give you the maximum opportunity to create the blurry background you want - setting the camera to macro mode will help.

The most important aspect is actually NOT aperture. I can create the blur at f8 easily by using a long lens and getting close to the subject! Magnification is everything.

This photo is taken at f/5.6 at around 210mm. It can be done with a smaller aperture. So I agree that you should try to use a longer focal length to take a picture with your camera.

2998636475_7eb217d6f6.jpg

I own a Canon SX 100 IS. I think it has the lowest aperture of 2.8. So should I try clicking photographs on F 2.8?
Yes, but you also want to zoom out to a long focal length, get close to the subject and have the subject stand away from the background a bit...the farther the subject is from the background the better the blur will be.

By focal length, do you mean using the zoom?
My camera has 10x optical zoom, so I should use it and at the same time use a wider aperture like 4.0+ & get close to subject to get the desired effect called bokeh?

I will get into contact with you after a week. Exams starting from Tuesday, so will not be available till 3rd March. :(

Most reactions

Back