foggy lens

Christina

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ever have the problem of going fo indoor to outdoor and your lens fogging up? I came across this the other day and was curious of the best way to cure the problem so you can getting back to shooting!

any ideas or thoughts?

There is nothing really that you can do.
The 'fogging' is caused in the same way that mist is - cold meeting hot and humid.
If the lens is cold and you go into a warm humid environment the water condenses onto the lens.
You can get it from going outdoor to indoor or vice versa depending on conditions. And the temperature difference does not have to be much if the humidity is high.
You can get treatments to put on glasses and windscreens to stop them misting up and they do offer a short term solution. But it is not advisable to coat camera lenses with stuff - best to keep them as clean as possible.
The easiest and best solution is to let the camera aclimatise for a few minutes. The lens may mist up but if you leave it it usually clears after a minute or so on it's own. Try to resist the temptation to wipe it clean.

HI

A little tip I use for night shooting and colder climates is to get hold of those little pocket warmer sticks that you can buy in outdoor pursuit and camping shops. You can wrap these in some material and attach them to your lenses around the body of the lense - This will keep the lense at a warmer temperature than ambient - thus stopping "fogging" of the lense.

It works for me.

I think this will work. Put your camera in a freezer bag and seal it before going from cold to warm temps. Let it reach the ambient temp before opening.

I've heard this works, I have not tried it.

Edit: I'm pretty sure this is only a problem going from cold to warm, vice warm to cold.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back