Football VS Fuji s5000

mentos_007

The Freshmaker!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So... i did it :D as some of you may have read in Q&A forum that I attended a football match, and I had a photogs pass. so I was able to shoot from the "ground level" - from the pitch. When I appeared there with my ttiny cam, other photogs were shocked... as well as a bit confused... what's more I was the only girl there between all the photogs... I was the youngest there... and I met a few fellow photogs from the papers. We know each other from the photogs society... they were just shocked when they saw me there:pBut not only do I want to post the results but also I'd like to give some tips for those who are willing to buy Fuji s5000/s5500 or s7000. I experienced a few problem with my camera there.
So here go the problems:
1. White balance... fuji s5000 doesn't have manual white balance and it was really hard to get it right. I used Auto mode, because it had the best results with the artificial light on the stadium. but even though I had to use PS to remove blue hue.
2. Auto focus - I used the C-AF mode - it worked the best there. but it lost the focal points too fast... I could not use manual focus because it includes to hard combination of pressing the buttons and the action was really fast.
3. Zoom - I thought that 300 mm on my camera (more less) will be enough.. an well... I think it's ok... but only when you can zoom in and out by using a ring on your lens... in my cam there are buttons to press and it takes too long to zoom out, when the players are running.
4. Delay - between pressing the button and capturing a scene by the camera... very often I missed a ball.

But I was really happy with the light and exposure... i shot on f2.8 and1/160 sec on 400 ISO... ok.. there is a blur visible on some pics but it is the best I could get. heh and remeber: when going on a football match to shoot... take your gloves with you... it was freezing and snowing... i had my gloves but even though my index finger froze, and it was a problem to press the buttons :D

ok so here you have pics... only 10 which i like :(... comments welcome... OTE... if you spot any mistakes I made on my shots- correct me please :D this was my first sport shooting:

1. during the warm-up
DSCF9238b.jpg

2. fans
DSCF9269b.jpg

DSCF9278.jpg

DSCF9282b.jpg

DSCF9283b.jpg

6 from "find-the-ball" series :)
DSCF9285b.jpg

DSCF9292b.jpg

8 this one is my fav:
DSCF9297.jpg

9 I do like this one too, but i'd like to see tha ball somewhere:
DSCF9315b.jpg

DSCF9316b.jpg

You did the best with what you had...that's admirable. Good Job.

Now you know why you see pro spots photographers with $4000 cameras and $12000 lenses.

Big Mike said:
Now you know why you see pro spots photographers with $4000 cameras and $12000 lenses.

heheh yeah! now I know! :D
but I'm going to shoot the next matches too... I'll try to use my camera to the full :D and what's more... it's another bit of experience...

wow mentos, great action captures! 2,4 and 10 do it for me, even if they are a little blurred :)

hehe thank you :D I would like the 10th one if there was a ball somewhere :p

Well let me start by saying .. GLOVES .. told ya didn't I? lol ;)

You done REAL good there mentos. 1, 2 4 6 9 & 10 are the best. :thumbup:

#1 coz so many people miss this sort of thing out.

#2 Fans make the game have that atmoshere and you caught this really well .... Personally I have never been a one for fireworks/flares at matches but it does tend to be a European thing.

#4 A player down in the post tackle position.

#6 Nicely done the ball is to the left of the player on the right.

#9 Blocking a freekick by "wall" of players I like this one and I have myself been hit in the parts unmentionalble doing this ;)

#10 Nice shot clear and you got a good focus through the net which is always hard to do.

Over all I think these are great. :hail: Now stop going or you'll make me look bad at this ;)

Only critism is #5 I might have cropped the ref (in yellow) out more and pulled the shot tighter.

wow! thank you Lensmeister for your comment and critique!!!! but yeah... you DIDN'T mention GLOVES!!! aggggrrrr

Mentos, why are you making yourself so small on these! There is no reason to do so whatsoever! I would not have achieved ONE good photo in light conditions such as these and with so much motion! Not one! And you achieved so many really good ones!

In the "after-tackle" pic... do I see it right? Is the player on the ground really grinning from ear to ear? If so, then I find that photo particularly funny!

I have never in all my life tried to photograph people playing football, but I appreciate to see if the whole atmosphere of a sports event is captured in photos, so I really like that you also took the first and second photo! All I know (also from a "photographer's [cough-cough] standpoint) are swim meets, and they are hard to capture, too, if you want to avoid using flash (which I want to avoid in most cases!), and I also like to include some of the surroundings and extras to get an idea of the atmosphere.

Raymond J Barlow said:
well done !! I hope you were not too much of a distraction to the players.. I bet you got a few winks/!!

hahaha actually I got a few... but from the other photogs :p:p most of the players are from... Brazil and Argentina... :p this is very international team :p only 4 or 5 players from Poland :p

Great shots Mentos! I've tried footie photography before and it's a nightmare, so I know how good these are, especially considering it's your first time!

Rob

Most reactions

New Topics

Back