For every photographer out there!

All of your responses are great. It helps to see things from another perspective..

Thanks a lot guys -

What I've learned over the past couple years is pick up a book or two on the "basics" (and I'm sure everyone would have an opinion on what to read). Not talking a library of books, just one or two to take some of the learning curve out, then go out and try some of it, tinker with it, throw out what doesn't work for you, but mainly, get out and take some photos. Post a few on the forum and have them critiqued. Even though I say read a book or two on the basics, I've learned more by posting photos and reading comments on my and other peoples photos. I'm a member of this and another forum and between the two have learned quite a bit.

What I've learned over the past couple years is pick up a book or two on the "basics" (and I'm sure everyone would have an opinion on what to read). Not talking a library of books, just one or two to take some of the learning curve out, then go out and try some of it, tinker with it, throw out what doesn't work for you, but mainly, get out and take some photos. Post a few on the forum and have them critiqued. Even though I say read a book or two on the basics, I've learned more by posting photos and reading comments on my and other peoples photos. I'm a member of this and another forum and between the two have learned quite a bit.

I think this is great advice. I wish I had paid more attention to composition in the beginning.

I think this is great advice. I wish I had paid more attention to composition in the beginning.

So do I. I still haven't "mastered" composition. I'm still hit and miss. But I also take photos that I like. I put out a lot of my photos just as a litmus test, see if I'm improving or not.

For me: learn the rule of thirds and leading lines. I feel that is the one simple step that turns a snapshot into a photograph.

I would have learned more about f stops and gotten off running man (action automatic mode) when I first got my Canon Rebel XT 3 years ago. This past 9 months I've been learning a ton more about making my pictures better - shooting AV and using different f stops, but I have tons of room to grow.

Oh and always stop to take the shot, there's been a bunch of shots I missed because I wanted to get a "better" shot.

In hindsight I would have sooner thrown away all the books including my camera manual on how to use the camera and how to expose manually and all that technical crap, and instead opted for buying just one book on how to take a picture.

The one I would recommend a hundred times over any other book, would be "The Photographers Eye" by Michael Freeman.

Only when you know what a good picture is should you start investigating how to setup your camera to take that picture.

- It's very easy to get caught up in the equipment game and learn very little about taking pictures. Even if you have a point & shoot with manual controls, there would be a lot to learn. P&S cameras I've had included features such as exposure compensation, ISO control, flash power settings, aperture priority, shutter priority, and manual modes. Of course, DSLR camera also have these settings and more. Experiment with these things. If you are anything like me, you'll have a mix of good and bad pictures. Look at the info available (EXIF) on the good and bad ones and see why they turned out as they did.

- Pay attention to what you are photographing. From experience, I know that it is possible to take a technically excellent, but lousy photo. For example, adults often take pictures of children from above, because they are taller. When you take a picture from a lower perspective, the entire photo changes. Think about what you want the picture to be focused on, or what it conveys. I have hundreds of photos that are uninteresting and that I will never look at again. How many random group shots of people do I really need that only say that this particular group of people were at the same place at the same time? Ugh. I am OK with that because the more I shoot, the more I think about composition. I'd much rather have a picture with some meaning than a picture that is technically "perfect." Of course I want both :)

Learn to hate your photos. You'll get better faster if you are never satisfied with your work. Ignore any kind comments from non-photogs.

Don't go to school for photography.
Really??

I have been seriously thinking about a minor in photography just because I thought it would be fun to do something I enjoy and that I'd like to learn more about.

My only worries is that I'd get burnt out on it, but other than that I don't know.

Did you go to school for photography I'm guessing?

Learn to hate your photos. You'll get better faster if you are never satisfied with your work. Ignore any kind comments from non-photogs.

I don't know about you but when I have a shot that "works" I feel far better and more like to go out shooting again than if I were to only view failure with every shot.

I think what you are saying is more like never get complacent with your shooting - to always be pushing yourself to get a better shot. That I think is a more healthy approach than to remove your own feeling of success by viewing your shots with a hated eye (note a critical eye is not nor should ever be a viewpoint or hatred).

I don't know about you but when I have a shot that "works" I feel far better and more like to go out shooting again than if I were to only view failure with every shot.

I think what you are saying is more like never get complacent with your shooting - to always be pushing yourself to get a better shot. That I think is a more healthy approach than to remove your own feeling of success by viewing your shots with a hated eye (note a critical eye is not nor should ever be a viewpoint or hatred).
Yeah, I was going for a little hyperbole there.

Really??

I have been seriously thinking about a minor in photography just because I thought it would be fun to do something I enjoy and that I'd like to learn more about.

My only worries is that I'd get burnt out on it, but other than that I don't know.

I would agree with him if he said digital photography because the techniques can be learned online.

I go to school for photography, but the program covers a lot of alternative 19th century processes, and I find that experience more than worth the cost of tuition. And I have had (and continue to have) opportunities to jury exhibitions and to include my work in gallery showings, and one of my photographs was recently chosen to be a part of a traveling exhibition. All of that is priceless, and it wouldn't have happened if I did not enroll in the program.

Really??

I would agree with him if he said digital photography because the techniques can be learned online.

I go to school for photography, but the program covers a lot of alternative 19th century processes, and I find that experience more than worth the cost of tuition. And I have had (and continue to have) opportunities to jury exhibitions and to include my work in gallery showings, and one of my photographs was recently chosen to be a part of a traveling exhibition. All of that is priceless, and it wouldn't have happened if I did not enroll in the program.

Congrats White!!! That sound very cool!

learn to shoot . don't learn to buy .

Most reactions

New Topics

Back