What's new

For meat lovers, Venison stew

It's quite interesting what we are culturally conditioned to consider "good" food and what we consider to be yucky. About 100 years ago, lobsters were considered lower class food. Now they're high-end delicacies. Same goes for shrimp and shell-fish. Objectively certain insects and caterpillars have very good protein profiles, but I'd have a real difficulty putting those in my mouth. Eels are prized delicacies in some places, and just unmentionable in others. Some edible funguses are desirable, others (and we're still talking edible ones) are anything but. Horsemeat is on the grocery shelves in certain countries, and avoided in others. Same for pork. Then we get to regional preferences - blubber is tasty to Inkuktitut, but probably unappealing to someone like me. The fish sauces prepared by fermentation in Asia will probably be challenging for me, while pickled herring, being something that I encountered in childhood (and love), wouldn't be - although my wife won't touch the stuff. One of my friends loves rabbit stew, but neither his wife, nor his daughter or son will touch it. I still remember the horror of my new girlfriend (now wife of 35 years) when she first came to a family dinner and faced a beef tongue lovingly served up as the main meat dish. Although she never particularly loved vegetables till then, she was piling her plate high with tomatoes and salads, and the like, so alas no room for the main course. I have had the pleasure of eating meals with people from many origins, and will try (at least once) just about anything, I have to admit there were times when I had to force myself to sample something my hosts considered delicious and were honoring me by serving it.

When my vegetarian daughter comes home for visits, we pig out on salads and pastas and a variety of cheese dishes (she eats cheese). Can't say anyone said they missed anything.
 
yes, it's interesting... I love reading what you have to say in almost all subject matters :) and I like your daughter!

In the period when I ate meat I could never eat animal's brain, eyes, tongue, guts (delicacies) omg, I feel so wrong even writing about this :)

I remember one time my room mate made me a sandwich and she didn't want to tell me what kind o meat is in there. I ate a half of it and she told me "it was a bunny" oh God... :(

cats and dogs... could never try it.

The most challenging "stuff" I ate was when I was in Japan. I even couldn't recognize sometimes what is in front of me. I ate some fish fetuses! when I realized... oh God!

I....just....can't....
 
It's probably fish roe :))

No, it wasn't fish roe lol. They were real little fetuses with spine and big black heads and eyes

the closest I could find on google is this, but you can't really see them good... those black spots are eyes...

Would You Like Thousands of Baby Fish To Go With Your Pasta?

cb21c53e01edf9fb25f6ab527a681e99.jpg
 
Ohhh those are called silver fish. It's not any fetus :p
I googled silver fish and saw and you're probably right for the pict I posted.
on my plate they did look similar as these but they were much smaller/shorter and you could see their spine...

however... I'm sorry I don't have the pict of my dish for us to establish their real name (they're not that scary when you call them silverfish) ;)
 
Ohhh those are called silver fish. It's not any fetus :p
I googled silver fish and saw and you're probably right for the pict I posted.
on my plate they did look similar as these but they were much smaller/shorter and you could see their spine...

however... I'm sorry I don't have the pict of my dish for us to establish their real name (they're not that scary when you call them silverfish) ;)
I love those when I was young. My grandma will fry them omelet style...yummmmmmmm...when I went with some friends to HK I was tricked into eating snake meat and field mice. So I wise up when I went back. I don't touch any meal if I do not know what's in it. That is why I learned how to cook...a hora mismo.
 
For me, calling them silverfish is even worse! Silverfish is what we call a certain type of insect. Yuk!

Even when I was younger and I was served meat, if I couldn't identify EXACTLY what something was, I would not eat it. Drove my mother crazy. When she made stew, it would take me so long to eat it because I'd pick out any tiny thing that I couldn't identify.

When I was 18 or 19, I decided it just wasn't worth it anymore, so I stopped eating red meat to see if I could do it. Two months later, I had a craving for a hamburger that just wouldn't go away, so my ex-boyfriend and I went to a local place and I got a burger. Now this was the South and we were at a place called Skeeters, so you can imagine the size of this thing. The first few bites were great. Then it wasn't really hitting the spot anymore. Then I looked at it. I saw those little curls of fat that you see in some ground meat. I dropped that thing like it was on fire. Oh, I was SO DISGUSTED at what I just ate. I mean, this is more than 20 years later and I still remember it clearly.

A couple of years later, I added the rest of the land animals to the list of things I just couldn't be bothered with anymore. 20 years later and I haven't changed my mind yet :) I still eat some kinds of fish (based on texture, really. Can't stand things like sole or flounder - the delicate white flaky ones) and dairy.

This has saved me so many times when things were served and they just looked disgusting. "Oh I'm so sorry, but I don't eat meat." If I were stranded somewhere and had to eat bugs to stay alive, I'd be totally screwed.
 
I hope they tasted good :)
oh! they had a really strong favor! Even after all this time I still vividly remember how they looked and tasted... never want to see them again!!!

I like veggies......... period
So, I think we can establish that there are just three of us here on this forum! I thought the number would be higher.... 5 at least ;)
 
Last edited:
Ok! That's it!

I've had it enough!!!!:madmad::madmad::madmad:

3 pages talking about meat and just two people said something about my pictures!!! (they said my pictures are great... just for the record)



just... nevermind.... I won't post food shots anymore....




;) (just kidding... for the record)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom