For the VIVITAR 285HV users

ghache

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
For the one using the vivitars 285HV, we all know that at full power, they are DOOOGSSS since it takes a slow 12-14 full long painfull seconds to recycle.

Since i wanted to use them in studio because they are quite powerfull for a speedlight, i though id give the sb4 power adapter a try and for 15 bucks a piece, they are a great buy.

Pearstone SB-4 AC Adapter 239404 B&H Photo Video

Without the adapter with fully charged eneloop

Full power = 14
1/2 Power = 7
1/4 Power = 4
1/16 Power = 2

With the adapter.
Full power = 9
1/2 power = 4
1/4 power = 2
1/16 power = 1- (almost instant recycle)

9 sec for at full power is still pretty slow IMO but is a bit better than 14 sec from the batteries.

At 1/4 and 1/2 of power, recycle time is totally usable in studio. Perfect for hair light on a boom or in a small softbox

overall, if you plan on using your vivitars 285hv indoor, i think its a great buy for the money, it gives your a good improvement at 1/2 and 1/4 and eliminate the need of fully charged batteries all the time.

The only thing i am wondering is if the adpater works on a vagabon II powerpack.

You know, when I bought one of my 285HV used, it came with the power adapter as well as 2 extra cables (as shown in the photo below). I wonder if that can connect to some powerpack or not.

3302971834_73e756beab_z.jpg

Hurm, it would probably work on any powerpack that his this connetion type.

the sb4 has a regular 2 pin power outlet plug.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back