For Whom the Bell Tolls 2

RegiUsh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got up and out into this very cold morning to try the bell photo with the lighting of the sunrise one with flash, one without flash and the last one is without the flash that I messed around with a little. Bare in mind the original was taken in the late Spring and I didn't mean for it to be a different angle but it clearly is. The first photo is the original
1)
11187853_1613951958840019_4828049042735996418_o.jpg

2) Taken this morning without the flash
without.jpg

3) With flash at its lowest setting
With.jpg

4) Without flash that I messed around with.
messed with.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0547_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_0547_edited-1.jpg
    818.2 KB · Views: 120
  • Post without .jpg
    Post without .jpg
    818.2 KB · Views: 134
  • Post without .jpg
    Post without .jpg
    818.2 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0547.jpg
    IMG_0547.jpg
    885.1 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0547.jpg
    IMG_0547.jpg
    885.1 KB · Views: 122
I think I would have liked the original best if the vignette wasn't so pronounced. I like the background being a little darker so your eye isn't drawn to it.

I would try this at night. Bring a tightly gridded light on to the bell so that it's highlighted and you kill all, or almost all of the ambient, and then have a second light behind the post to illuminate the background just enough to show a bit of detail.

I would try this at night. Bring a tightly gridded light on to the bell so that it's highlighted and you kill all, or almost all of the ambient, and then have a second light behind the post to illuminate the background just enough to show a bit of detail.

I understand what your suggesting, but I am going to have to put some thought into where I am going to find that second light. If I can come up with one I will try it.

The others pale (literally) in comparison to the first. Generally, you don't want to center subjects; but in this case, I don't think a small crop from the right would hurt.

And yes, perhaps lighten the vignette a bit.

You can do this anytime with one light.
1. Set the camera and flash in manual mode.
2. Set the camera shutter speed so the background is just visible.
3. Set the camera aperture so the background is slightly fuzzy (depth of field).
4. Set the flash (with a soft box) power to light the bell to desired brightness.

5. Hit the shutter.

I tried it one more time with the light illuminating the bell from behind.
IMG_0488

Most reactions

Back