"For Whom the Bell Tolls" Maine coast milky way

jsecordphoto

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$osprey1.jpg
Hermit Island- Phippsburg, Maine

High up on the these cliffs, cut out from thousands of years of tides crashing along shore, was an amazing experience. I've been camping here at Hermit Island every summer since I was just a kid, and it's been an incredible place to shoot photos- day and night. Just offshore, there is a bell attached to a buoy that is one of the thing I remember the most from our trips here. Some people hate it, but I find it relaxing to listen to the bell clang in the distance as I fell asleep in my tent. I've been experimenting more with merging sky exposures and long foreground exposures for added DoF and a better looking foreground. This was a sky exposure of iso3200, f2.8, 25 seconds. Then 2 foreground exposures focused at different points, both iso1600, f4, 8 minutes. Manually blended in PS6.

Thanks for looking!

That's a very nice shot. I like your techniques.

Nice story, excellent image and thanks for being someone who thinks before he shoots.:thumbup:

Thank you. Its been an amazing trip so far, about a week into a 3 week camping trip. Access to cell service...never mind WiFi, is difficult, but I'm excited to post more here of what love been getting.

The image, composition, and execution are excellent. The only negative to the image is the noise in the shadow portion (lower part of the image). If those were cleaned up, it would be truly a spectacular "home-run" shot. I noticed that you are apparently doing something similar to what Majeed has done with his Crater Lake shot (http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/landscape-cityscape/363080-galaxy-guardian.html), although in your version the Mikly Way is more prominent. Please don't take my comments as critisism - I think you've achieved a very memorable result.

The image, composition, and execution are excellent. The only negative to the image is the noise in the shadow portion (lower part of the image). If those were cleaned up, it would be truly a spectacular "home-run" shot. I noticed that you are apparently doing something similar to what Majeed has done with his Crater Lake shot (http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/landscape-cityscape/363080-galaxy-guardian.html), although in your version the Mikly Way is more prominent. Please don't take my comments as critisism - I think you've achieved a very memorable result.

No, I appreciate the feedback. I actually noticed the noise earlier when I looked at this photo on a desktop rather than my laptop. Editing photos from my campsite has been...interesting. I was a little impatient while taking this and neglected my dark frames, so I set my camera up tonight and took some with the body cap on and in my photo bag. I'm gonna run the raw files through a program to clean up the noise/hot pixels

Hey I know where that is!

Ps all of Maine looks like that so come visit and spend lots of money!

Amazing work here! I swear I could hear the bell as I was reading your tidbit and looking into the frame. Thanks so much for sharing!

Cool image and story. Man, I wouldn't know how to act if I could take a 3 week camping trip.

Hah, I'm pretty much just running around like a madman shooting as many photos as possible. I really appreciate the feedback from everyone, this place in Maine is really special to me and its been amazing spending time photographing it. I'm also racking up print orders which doesn't hurt either

Man o Man! that was almost as good as Majeed's.....

And I've been dying to go to Maine, Runnah........hopefully this year....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back