For Whom the Bell Tolls

RegiUsh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was just trying to get a decent picture of the bell my father in law put up 20 years ago...
11187853_1613951958840019_4828049042735996418_o.jpg

I was just trying to get a decent picture of the bell my father in law put up 20 years ago...
Ah...Yes, a worthwhile subject, to be sure!

A couple of things:

Find a way to make the light special. This light is nothing. If you have any flash or other portable light, use it. Maybe try the light in several different positions.

Also: Orient your camera to "portrait" orientation. The subject is essentially upright, and the background is irrelevant.

A couple of things:

Find a way to make the light special. This light is nothing. If you have any flash or other portable light, use it. Maybe try the light in several different positions.

Also: Orient your camera to "portrait" orientation. The subject is essentially upright, and the background is irrelevant.

Designer makes two very important points. Light. Proper subject/camera orientation.

The first issue depends on the day. The second issue is always dependent upon the photographer to make the right camera orientation decision. And it is a decision.

I think it is a fine image as-is but I would love to see it early and/or late (sunrise, sunset). Golden hour, blue hour- etc.

All good advice given above. One other thing and it's a personal opinion, I'd either go color or B&W the desaturated color doesn't work for me, as it makes the background a distraction.

Curious, what part of MO are you in? I grew up there.

A couple of things:

My flash is the built in, as a matter of fact I have never worked with the flash, never even thought of it. The few times I have used it, it seemed to make the pictures look washed out. At the same time I obviously do not know how to use it. So I will play around with it and see what comes of it. Any advice on using flashes are more then welcome.

All good advice given above. One other thing and it's a personal opinion, I'd either go color or B&W the desaturated color doesn't work for me, as it makes the background a distraction.

Curious, what part of MO are you in? I grew up there.

Funny you should mention b&w, I was thinking about trying it earlier today. I will mess around with it some more. I live in Robertsville MO, we are about 10 miles away from Six Flags St. Louis.

I think it is a fine image as-is but I would love to see it early and/or late (sunrise, sunset). Golden hour, blue hour- etc.

Thanks for the feedback, good news is the bell is on my back porch so I can take as many pictures as I want of it. I will give time of day more consideration. I never thought of that.

Don't over look how much light you can "move" with a piece of white poster board. You'd be surprised what you can do

A couple of things:

Designer makes two very important points. Light. Proper subject/camera orientation.

The first issue depends on the day. The second issue is always dependent upon the photographer to make the right camera orientation decision. And it is a decision.

Thanks for the feedback, I never really played with the lighting like it is being suggested here on the thread, outside of taking pictures in rooms with poor lighting that is. I will try a few more pictures of the bell at different times of the day. I don't know how to use the flash effectively yet.

Robertsville MO, we are about 10 miles away from Six Flags St. Louis

Been there several times. Son was stationed at Ft Leonardwood

Thanks for the feedback, I never really played with the lighting like it is being suggested here on the thread, outside of taking pictures in rooms with poor lighting that is. I will try a few more pictures of the bell at different times of the day. I don't know how to use the flash effectively yet.
If sunlight ever hits this bell, then wait until the sun is low in the sky so the light will come at it from the side. Even better if the color of the light comes through as "warm" light. You can also use a reflector if the angle of the sunlight isn't quite where you want it. Your built-in flash has power settings. Go to the menu and set the power to say; 1/4 to start and keep fiddling until you get the light you want. Flash coming from the top of the camera will be very flat, so you want it subtle so it doesn't blow out the exposure. You might need to dial it down even further.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back