Forensic Analysis Please

@zombiesniper hit my observations dead on.

I’ll add that their arms sort of get amputated at the dog and there is nowhere that the could realistically go; they would literally be inside the dog if they were actually where they appear to be.. the depth doesn’t add up.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure a reshoot is feasible, and even if it was I'm not sure the results would be much improved, but I will suggest it. As for the arms, while I see what you mean, both of them were cut out of poses that were almost identical to the one created here; the only difference being Mollie's head position, and yes, working on the shadows. Thanks all!

..will it pass muster for non-photographers?
Possibly.

As my father used to say; "Looks good going by on a fast horse."

As you are no doubt aware, there are non-photographers who are visually adept, and those you will not fool, so it really depends on your target audience/customer.

I really don't know how one would assemble a composite to be so realistic that it would fool almost everybody, so this is probably "good enough". (My dad's favorite pet peeve saying, BTW.) It's either good or it isn't.

Anyway, for me the biggest problem is where the human arms are. It is not possible that they could actually be behind the dog, given the relative position of all three subjects. If you could somehow fix the arms, it might fool more people. If you could find a photo with their arms in their laps, that might be a better starting point.

I'm going to withhold the the details behind the image for a bit; but suffice it to say while it's not the sort of image I would normally put out, there is a reason behind it. I am hoping you can tell me two things: (1) What your overall impression of the image is; and (2) what you think has been done.

Mollie_Web.jpg

Thanks!!!!!!!

Fake news. Both people have been pasted in, there legs are stupid, especially the guys knee. The dog is looks stuffed. Why go to the bother of stringing all that work together when the background is all wrong.

What is giving it away?

The edges of the people are to sharp makes then stand out as a cut out.feathering the edges might help.

The lighting on the people is different more exposed then the dog

I'm going to withhold the the details behind the image for a bit; but suffice it to say while it's not the sort of image I would normally put out, there is a reason behind it. I am hoping you can tell me two things: (1) What your overall impression of the image is; and (2) what you think has been done.

Mollie_Web.jpg

Thanks!!!!!!!

Fake news. Both people have been pasted in, there legs are stupid, especially the guys knee. The dog is looks stuffed. Why go to the bother of stringing all that work together when the background is all wrong.
Well... that's very helpful. I appreciate you taking the time to put together than insightful critique. I think I mentioned WHY I was doing it, and I'm aware of what was done, AND I'm aware that it is a rather clumsy attempt. My goal is to give the client a reasonable result, and as I'm the one that's done the work, it's difficult for me to judge how well some of it has been done, hence I am seeking assistance from the TPF community

Probably pointless replying now, but this is what I saw...

I knew the people were a different images because of the white fringing around the gentleman's shoulder and right arm, against a darker background it stands out. Also the white fringing around the ladies face and hair. I then noticed the knees of the couple, there were lack of contact shadows (ambient occlusion) between the knees and floor. These led me to believe that the couple were a cut-out.

I then looked at the dog, it looked like 1 image because the shadows around where its body connects with the cushion looked real, the really dark areas then gradually getting lighter as it moved away form the areas of contact.

There was no white fringing around the top of the dogs head against the dark of the fireplace image, fireplace may be different too as I dont see a reflection in the glass?

Lastly the pose looked awkward.

Very sad read about the health of the dog, but it's a lovely idea and I hope it gives them continued joy later down the line.

Only a pro or someone looking for a "faked" photo will notice any of the things pointed out. 99% of the population would not see it or if they did notice something is off they would not be able to pinpoint what it is. I'm sure they will love it.

Only a pro or someone looking for a "faked" photo will notice any of the things pointed out. 99% of the population would not see it or if they did notice something is off they would not be able to pinpoint what it is. I'm sure they will love it.

Your Probably right but could the ethical photographer, not speaking of the OP but a in general, live with the result.

Based on the points raised here, I think I will scrap this and start over again.

If the dog has checked out of the building you could still use him as he is there, seeing as most people hammered you on the people.

Your Probably right but could the ethical photographer, not speaking of the OP but a in general, live with the result.
Hence the reason I sought peer critique and input.
If the dog has checked out of the building you could still use him as he is there, seeing as most people hammered you on the people.
I wasn't aware anyone "hammered" me on anything. I asked for input on an image, and I received it.

Forensic analysis:

well, the rug looks like its already been cleaned of fibers, but the culprits missed one by the womans knee that we might be able to analyze back at the lab.
the TV has been wiped down, but we should check the back for prints.
the dog is our key witness and will be thoroughly interrogated using the latest techniques. belly rubs, bacon treats, and butt scratches.

Most reactions

Back