Forward into the Past: Retro-styled Canon digital camera?

These kinds of things make me think that technology advancement may have hit a wall and manufactures have to do this to drum up sales.

These kinds of things make me think that technology advancement may have hit a wall and manufactures have to do this to drum up sales.
I wouldn't expect Canon to be much different than Nikon, who did their market research, determined that there was a niche market for a retro design, and produced the Df which, incidentally, was pretty successful. Manufacturer's know they cannot sell much for which there is little demand. I personally have no plans to buy another camera, but I'm always eager to read about what's next.

I wouldn't expect Canon to be much different than Nikon, who did their market research, determined that there was a niche market for a retro design, and produced the Df which, incidentally, was pretty successful. Manufacturer's know they cannot sell much for which there is little demand. I personally have no plans to buy another camera, but I'm always eager to read about what's next.
The Df was a joke--ever own, shoot or even fondle one? Arguably a disaster. Suffice it to say Nikon's product development missed the mark. The problem that Nikon/Canon face now is a fragmented, fickle market that won't predictably brand-buy whatever the companies present.

The Df was a joke--ever own, shoot or even fondle one? Arguably a disaster. Suffice it to say Nikon's product development missed the mark. The problem that Nikon/Canon face now is a fragmented, fickle market that won't predictably brand-buy whatever the companies present.
Bought my Df a few months after it was released, and it's the reason I have no desire to buy another camera. I shoot primarily Fujifilm Velvia-50 medium format, and have enough cameras to last as long as me. I would sell my F cameras and go digital more if the Df had interchangeable finders and focusing screens. It's also irritating that pressing the depth of field preview button cuts off the meter, although I have only one non-Ai lens. The white (silver?) Df looked silly to me, and I bought a black one. Thicker, but otherwise close to the size and shape of my F3. The present and future state of the market is interesting to follow, but doesn't affect me. As long as I can buy fine-grained film, 35mm or 120, black and white or color, I'm a happy camper!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back