Found one of my pictures on a blog

As I understood it the idea of Tineye wasn't that it was just searching on file names (google can do that) but that it was generating a log of the image itself - using certain codes and properties to generate a template of the image that could then be compared to any other resized photo version of it - thus allowing it to be able to find any copy of a photo in its archive.
It's problem however is that the project has to first find the photos and log them before it can find them - thus until they've managed to catalogue the majority of the internet to the point where they are able to update in real/near real time with the major internet host, then its a limited service on offer. I still think its a great idea and a great resource, but its just not quite ready yet to be of full use.

That's kind of what I was thinking. At least, that's what it should be - if it isn't.

What I want to know is, how do you 'hide' an image from it? It may seem backwards, but if I knew how to hide something from it, I would know better how it works and how to help it find things.

I haven't really messed with it in a while (not counting this thread), but when I did, I plugged in a ton of my images and it couldn't find any of them. I figured it was just too new - but at the same time I thought that it should be able to find at least one of them...

Is it just as simple as the internet being a really huge place, and it hasn't 'been everywhere' yet?

If they can make it work (and apparently it does for some people), I think it would be great.

For example - the image I use for my avatar here (and other forums, and Flickr) - shouldn't it be "easy" to find that, since it's posted thousands of time all over the internet (more than 9000 times, just on this forum).

Yeah I think its just a case that the internet really is massive and constantly in a state of flux and addition - so they have a mammoth task ahead of them just to catch up. I am surprised that flickr and groups such as the vbulletin sites are not already catalogued (or at least don't appear to be)

Josh, have you seen my advice about NOT titling and tagging images on Flickr?

If anyone is that concerned about what goes on with Flickr and unauthorized blog usage, don't tag and title.
People writing blogs that need a picture, search. If you don't come up in a search, your image is supermuch less likely to be stolen/borrowed/used.

And whoever runs that blog is probably seeing a few hits from this thread - who knows, they could be reading this right now.
Haha - I was right. The owner of that blog just contacted me via the comments for that photo.

I'm not worried about it, and I'm not going to make them take it down or anything like that. I just think it's cool that I saw my picture on their blog because of Flickr stats, and they saw this thread because of Google Analytics (I assume). It's kinda cool to know how connected everything is...

And for all you people talking **** about other photographers and linking to their Flickr or Facebook, or whatever (I see that a lot on this forum...) - this should be proof enough that they are reading what you say about them - so choose your words carefully.

Josh, have you seen my advice about NOT titling and tagging images on Flickr?

If anyone is that concerned about what goes on with Flickr and unauthorized blog usage, don't tag and title.
People writing blogs that need a picture, search. If you don't come up in a search, your image is supermuch less likely to be stolen/borrowed/used.
Yes, I realized shortly after this thread that the only reason they even found it was because of my tagging.

Anyway, I have heard from the other person and it's all sorted out. Not worried about it.

edit
Sometimes I only tag for myself (so I can find stuff easier - what film/developer it was, stuff like that). sometimes I tag it with every possible thing I can think of. :lol:

This particular shot, I tagged more than normal, but not as much as I would for a stock site or something.

I use Flickr like a notebook - When I have a roll to develop and want to try something different - I go to Flickr and see what film/developer combinations I've used before.

And if my tagging helps other people do the same - I'm cool with that. Sometimes it can be hard to find dev times for certain film/developer combos - I know I have found a few on Flickr - I just figured I would return the favor.

Last edited:
Yeah, I understand the usefulness of tagging.
It's a choose your evil, scenario. :p

Thats awesome! I'm not sure if I saw a copyright in ur image, but if you didn't have one, it would be good to put one on the picture.

Yeah found one of my images on a Spanish website. They didn't credit the pic and I didn't copyright it so tough titty for me.

............... I didn't copyright it so tough titty for me.

You took it, didn't you? If so, then it's copyrighted. You only need to 'file' it if you intend to take the matter to court.

Or want the legal options copyright registration provides.

You have way more legal protection if you register your copyright before an infringement occurs.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back