Fox, Turtle, and Turkey (for your viewing pleasure)

Trenton Romulox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jeremygrayphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hardcore critique is not only appreciated, but expected. :]

The Wishing Well:
_DSC1485-Edit.jpg

Hey, You Turkey:
_DSC1528-Edit.jpg

Morning Fox:
_DSC1486-Edit.jpg

Thanks for looking! Comments, critiques, and jokes are welcome and appreciated.

Peace.

C&C per req:
1. Interesting, and very well done (although I think the highlights on the turtle's shell are a little bright), but it doesn't really work for me. I think had the turtle been facing the camera, it might have been better.
2. Nicely caught, and great background. Once again, I think perhaps the highlights are a little too strong especially around the beak area.
3. Another great image, just once again, the highlights are too strong.

the first turtle shot, the shell is alittle to bright, but i really like it anyway

the turkey has a perfectly blurred background. great job

seems like the lighting was pretty good for this shot, best shot IMO

great job!

I like them all and think they're just about perfect!

My favorites are 1, 2 and 3. :D

#1 - How totally interesting!

#2 - How totally perfect!

#3 - You really captured "the farm" or country boy look and feel in that image. Wonderful! The color contrast from the noon Sun does that I guess as so many famous motion picture cinematographers have used that in the past to achieve (or express) just that... Nice!

Thanks guys. I think I'm gonna use #3 in a local competition, hopefully it fares all right. I might try and iron out those highlights a little bit, maybe some texture cloning or something, not sure, 'cause I'm not good at PhotoShop, at all, haha. The lighting I was working in was tough to overcome, but that's my own fault for shooting at the time of day I did. Live and learn.

try the Burn tool for highlights - set it to something low like 25-30% and then you can run over the highlights several times, making it a new click and drag each time you run over them again -this lets you do the undo command if you go a few too many times over and darken too much.

As for the shots - 1 has a wonderful reflection and the colour choice makes it intersting. I actually think that him heading away from you works in this.
Number 2 I am not sure about - colours, lighting and sharpness are all spot on and I really like the colour in his eye - but its a shame that he neither looks like he is directly looking at the camera ( and thus viewer ) nor compeletly away - its that strange bird eye - the framing of this though makes it look stronger like he is focused on a far off sight.
The third is really good - and its just a real shame about those overexposed areas - a tip is to under expose by one stop during the day (exposure compensation) when the sun is up and then brighten up a shot later in photoshop = that way you have a better chance of preserving the whites.

Overall a really good set of shots - really hope to see more like this! :)

Great pics!

#1 A camera shy turtle! :lmao: Great job on the reflection. I agree on the shell being a bit too bright, but hey - that's why they make turtle wax!

#2 *gobblegobble* Great detail on the bird :)

#3 amazing creature. Those eyes are killer!

:thumbup:

I like what you have done with the highlights - very well recovered, but now the whole shot has a green tinge to it - a levels edit should help remove that (or you could go to quick editing mode and move the tint slider to the right a little to get that foxy colour back :))

I like what you have done with the highlights - very well recovered, but now the whole shot has a green tinge to it - a levels edit should help remove that (or you could go to quick editing mode and move the tint slider to the right a little to get that foxy colour back :))

That's weird...I didn't change any colors in the shot at all. Haha. I don't know how the tone changed. :lol:

I like the fox the most- the orig. The burn tool can be your friend.

A lovely set. :D

Great dof on the bird although his head is a tad bright..I agree with bringing down the exposure compensation on those bright days to eliminate those overexposed areas..

The fox is fab.. again a little bright but something that can be easily worked on in the future although he is looking a little green in your edit maybe he is feeling sickly in that one....lol :greenpbl:

Most reactions

Back