Framing

mwcfarms

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.deannachambers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so the local photo gallery in town has a wall they change out once a month for local artists. The owner asked me to bring in some prints. Of course I have none framed etc or mounted. Just wanted to ask what some of you do. Do you mat/frame it yourself with whatever. I know you can sometimes pic up frames at garage sales, michaels etc but I want it still to look good while being economically feasible. I have a few photos that I like and will of course get printed proffesionally since all I have is a walmart here. Thanks for any info/help you might have.

I buy mount board, mat, and frame materials and assemble it all myself.

There are some good framing, mat tutorials here Documounts :: Documounts 101 This company is in Oregon.

You may want to find a comparable outlet in Canada.

Or look around for local shops that specialize in that. You may get lucky and find someplace cheap.

The last photo I had framed by some local place cost me less than $40 for a 24"x36" black thick metal frame with cut UV/anti-glare glass and backing. I want to say it was about $30-$35 for materials and cost for them to frame it.

Thanks for the tips, I will do that. If anyone has a Canadian vendor they know about in Southern Alberta or even Edmonton. /Hint BigMike lol Im all ears.

I don't have a particular framer that I can recommend, sorry. There are a ton of them in Edmonton though, so I'd like to create a relationship with one or two of them. I typically buy frames & mattes (from Micheal's or wherever) and assemble them myself.

The lab that I use, Technicare, has recently started offering framing, I don't know if they are doing larger sizes though.
One option that intrigues me, is glassless framing. You order the print with an acrylic coating, then put it into the frame without any glass. It's a great option when you need to ship, because there is no glass to break.

There are also some other good options for display pieces. I like the gallery wrapped canvas (which Technicare does very well) and I've also has some mounted onto Masonite.

If you are going to do larger prints for framing, I'd suggest ordering them mounted on something. The simple board mounting is a good option. I keeps the print from warping etc. I've got a few 16x20 prints hanging around my house, just in cheap frames, and they prints are definitely starting to warp.

Another option, if it suits your photography and if you can find someone, would be specialty/artistic frames. There are a few different people around here (out in the country) who make frames with old barn boards or fence posts etc. I had a look at some just two weeks ago, in a booth at the 'Holden Farmer Day' festival.

I have seen the barn wood frames. They are all over here it seems. I am going to ask the owner of the shop and see what he suggests. Thanks for the tips.

American Frame Metal & Wood Picture Frames - American Frame has pretty reasonably priced frames. I usually go to hobby lobby or michels when they're having a sale when I need mats and foam board. I get my glass now from a local glass company for little of nothing. The whole thing costs me less than $20 to frame a 16x20 in a nice metal frame.

i usually rescue mine from thrift stores or second hand stores. there pretty cheap and you can find some nice ones.

Most reactions

Back