Freakin Awesome

AIRIC

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.airic.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When you plan a photoflight, a month in advance, in February, in Ontario, chances are its not going to happen. Sub zero temperatures, snow, high winds and a hundred other problems get in the way but for the first time ever I had a flawless shoot. The temperatures were above freezing, brilliant sun and all the aircraft and pilots were serviceable. The only problem was a bolt in the window that took a half hour to remove so we could open it in flight.

These were taken out of a Cessna 172 and the aircraft are the first Czech built EuroStars, Canadian SportStars in Canada. All the pilots I had never flown with before, something I don’t like to do on a shoot, but they were excellent in formation. Aviation photography has to be one of the most frustrating types of photography as I am only along for the ride and can only shoot what the pilots present to me. Noise, radio communication and hand signals only go so far but it is the pilots putting the aircraft in the right position at the right time that make it work. Today it worked as you can see by these images.

Today I truly knew I was doing what I was meant to do and feel I have almost mastered my craft as an aviation photographer. This is what I live and breath for…well also my wife but on a different level if you know what I mean. ;)

eden001.jpg

eden002.jpg

eden003.jpg

eden004.jpg

eden005.jpg

eden009.jpg

eden014.jpg

eden06.jpg

My assistant for the shoot :)

There are a few more images at http://www.airic.ca/html/edenvale_sportstar.html

A few cold beers :cheers: and I'm done for Saturday February 5th, 2005.

Cheers,

Eric

Absolutely incredible shots!
Great colors, very crisp and good composition but apart from that they're OK! :hail:
Wish I'd been there just for the ride.
BTW, I guess you were using your D70 but what lenses, aperture, F#'s etc?

Used the D-70 with a 28-105ED Nikkor lens. For the most part I shoot aperature priority between 125th and 350th/sec and use exposure compensation. With this paycheck I'm getting myself the Nikkor 24-120ED VR lens. The only thing I'm lacking is slower shutter speeds to get more prop arc that the professionals get. The lighting was perfect for it today but it is so easy to get blured pics if you drop the speed to much. Between the wind, vibration and just good old unsteadiness you have to be careful.

Eric

Great stuff. Ive thought about doing photography from planes, but only of ground. shooting other planes in flight...thats great. way more exciting than shooting the ground...

Sure is awesome!!!

Crisp work :thumbup:

incredible pictures... never paid much interest to planes before, but you've definitely captured the attraction. Neat.

Ha, these are great!!! A wonderful productive day, these shots are spectacular! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

You have every reason to be totally pumped over these. :D

Please, Eric, give these "immortality" in the
www_smiliemania_de_1327287-0.png
under "Aviation Photography" (or something like this - I know it is there somewhere). They are just too good to be shown here only this once and then never again!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back