Freakin Awesome

My father has been shooting aircraft since the 1940 and he gave me my first camera when I was nine and dragged to every airshow he could find. About 14 years ago I started submitting photos and then articles to aviation magazines and haven't looked back. I consider myself very lucky as almost everything I have ever written and submitted has been published. I have been doing the air-to-air work for about 10 years now so I should be good at it. However I only get to do about a dozen shoots a year so it is hard to get confident and relaxed doing it. So many factors run through my head but the first is safety. I only fly with airshow or military pilots and instructors. A colision flying that close together could be the end. Falling out is another major concern. On this flight I only had a window open but on most, especially in the summer we take the door off for better visibility. As you can see by this photo it is not for everyone. Imagine taking the door off of a car and going up to 5,000 feet.

Eric4_1_.jpg

My wife took this shot during a photofligth and never knew what I was implying when I said we take the door off. I think she was a little concerned :)

kot06.jpg

This is the aircraft I was shooting, a Vietnam erra Cessna O-2. My wife can be seen sitting in the far seat.

Eric

HOLY CRAP!!! Airic! those shots are amazing! Congrats!

As usal Eric your work stands second to none. At least with Nikon you keep me from hounding you to try out your new lenses.lol

Terrific pictures. such clarity. Have to say, I envey your lifestyle and skills.

It must be a helluva an adrenaline rush.

Great shots, WOW. I really like #6, but all are beautys.

You said it, Freakin Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Adrenaline rush it is. I love it! I have a few fears but doing this is not one of them. Feel very comfortable hanging ut the aircraft and directing the pilots into position.

Eric

Very cool. I like most of the. The most is the first. SUCH A GREAT JOB. :)

They kind of look like toys with real looking people in them :)

Awesome shots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hail: :hail: :hail:

Thanks everyone. All I can say is follow your passion, try to get published and it will open up so many more doors to photograph what you really like to photograph. For me it is aircraft and I can't beleive people pay me great money to do what I would gladly do for free. Don't telll them :)

Eric

Most reactions

New Topics

Back