Freelensing

reznap

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Came across something on flickr and decided to try it. You basically hold your detached lens up to the camera body, a little tilted, play with it a bit. It's not easy to get the focus right, but you can get really interesting and super-shallow depth of field combined with some interesting effects and sometimes some light bleed - from light getting around the lens.

Also, you can skew the plane of focus, almost like a tilt-shift lens... which is extremely fun - but tricky - BUT FREE.

Anyway, it's fun.. here's 2 results with my 50mm held up to the body, it's wide open.

4690744533_4888ff1495_b.jpg

4690659527_3577ca3a67_b.jpg

Here's the flickr freelensing group/pool if you want to see more: Flickr: The Freelensing Pool

Or we can break or scratch the mirror as well :)
Your photos are really nice :thumbup:

Or we can break or scratch the mirror as well :)
Your photos are really nice :thumbup:

It's a good way to get dust in the sensor too... You'd think. I'm not very worried, I try to be pretty careful with my camera.

Thanks for the compliment :D

I'm not sure how many people have heard of this method, but I just learned and wanted to share ;)

Hey, pretty cool stuff! Thanks for passing that info along.

Pretty neat, but I can just hear my wife's reaction now when she catches me chasing our daughter around with the lens in one hand and the camera in the other. . . . . :lol:

Are there not other ways to achieve the same effect without taking your lens off?

Are there not other ways to achieve the same effect without taking your lens off?
You could buy an extension tube or a tilt shift lens.

Exactly... keyword: BUY. This is free and fun.

You could also buy a lensbaby. I want one so bad - but the one with glass optics (they make one with plastic optics..) is $200 I think :(

Pretty neat, but I can just hear my wife's reaction now when she catches me chasing our daughter around with the lens in one hand and the camera in the other. . . . . :lol:

lol.. I don't have anyone to nag me (which is a double-edged sword) at the time, but the credit card company owns my gear, I'm sure they wouldn't be thrilled.

at first I thought you were trying to spell Freelancing but failed LOL

You could also buy a lensbaby. I want one so bad - but the one with glass optics (they make one with plastic optics..) is $200 I think :(

The Muse is $100, all the new ones have an "optic swap" system. You can buy what yau want.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back