Frequency

techniker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit

f/5.6, 1/800, ISO 100, @ 60mm

Hi guys, I was hiking near Lima, Montana when I saw this pile of logs. I shot this because I thought it was an interesting composition of something that is otherwise boring. I find the frequency of shapes and textures very interesting, however, I think the shadows cast over the middle detract from the overall composition. I would have liked the shadows to be more defined. Overall, I got the results I was looking for and enjoy the individual elements quite a bit.

I think I could have used a lower aperture value.

Please let me know what you think, C&C is appreciated. Thanks for looking!

I'm just not feeling it. Maybe if you could bring out some of the shadow detail it would have more impact.

I really like the idea of this, but the longer I look at it something just doesn't feel quite right. I think it has a lot of potential though!

I think you are right about the strong shadows. If you can make it back, try shooting on a more overcast day so that you don't lose the center of the shot in deep shadows. You will also have more congruity of shape and texture throughout. I would also move in just a touch to crop out the top of the pile as well as the logs (excessive bark) that protrude from the front of the pile.

Most reactions

Back