From the new block. More 'big 'rabbits'

danielklaer

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.thewittyparrot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A couple of weeks ago I put up some roo photos from some land I was looking at. Well I got a contract on the land so I have been there a fair bit. In the last thread I mentioned that some of you overseas may be surprised by the size of a large male roo. Well this morning I got some pics of the local alpha and thought I would share.

14252446082_9db8658eb2_c.jpg

14231484856_bbbe4082af_c.jpg

I also got some pics of a mum and her joe. I find the second one pretty funny haha.

14067980539_6e8a0d93c2_c.jpg

14254620775_9a2c67d2a8_c.jpg

And a swamp hen that was cruising by

14251324231_7a45cd4c5d_c.jpg

Good gosh, the first two looks like it's on roids and been bench pressing some serious weight, what a beast.:lmao: Nice Shots.

Those are some really nice shots, especially that first one !!!!

WE WANT MORE !!!!!

How tall do the males stand.

Those are the big reds. There are smaller ones and when guns were still allowed in Oz, we used to hunt them and sell them to the French people who love to eat these kinds. The meat are tough and they are a pest to the farmers because they destroy the crops. I like the shot of the Mama and the Joey one...I like them all but my favourite is the one with the Joey.

Can you get me a bilby shot? I haven't seen one in person...

Hi Izzie :)

These are eastern greys. They are the second largest species. Big reds as you said are the true giants and get as big as 6.9ft tall (that's the record i think). As you may well remember they are a lot leggier though.

Where abouts were you working? I used to clear roos on a property too but post licensing laws. Almost feels unsporting doesn't it... they just stand there and look at you. It isn't so hard to jump through the gun licensing hoops but I wouldn't bother now days as I don't see the point/ no longer need one.

Not sure when you lived here but it may interest you to know that roo meat is quite popular here now and can be bought at any supermarket (in my area anyway). We eat it often and no complaints here :) The main advantage is that it is relatively low fat and cheap. The shooting industry for bush meat (pigs and roos) is quite large now too and many pros do quite well.

Haha I have spent ALOT of time in the bush and even in the right areas and I am still yet to see a bilby. Not an easy thing to see from all accounts. You will have to come back and go searching :)

All the best.
Dan

Last edited:
Great photos! Especially #4. And interesting thread. Thanks for sharing.

Great stuff Dan and always love seeing these from your side mate. Very nicely taken. Great action and timing in the 4th one and that joey is so darn cute :) Swamp here we call the Pukeko as you must already know, I should post a few up I guess. Darn nice shot there Dan. Shows the colours really well and the foot up always looks better for sure.

All the best next door and love those Roos.

Danny.

Shnikes, that male is no joke!

Great shots. And yeah, that second one of the mother and joey is pretty funny. I love the grass hanging out of her mouth and the look on the joey's little furry face, just resigned to being dragged around in a pouch :)

Great stuff Dan and always love seeing these from your side mate. Very nicely taken. Great action and timing in the 4th one and that joey is so darn cute :) Swamp here we call the Pukeko as you must already know, I should post a few up I guess. Darn nice shot there Dan. Shows the colours really well and the foot up always looks better for sure.

All the best next door and love those Roos.

Danny.

Thanks guys. Yeah Danny when I was over there I was thinking 'Geeze these pukekos look like swamp hens, must be closely related'. It was only later that I found out they were the same thing :) I would love to see a takahe, your giant version :)

Hi Izzie :)

These are eastern greys. They are the second largest species. Big reds as you said are the true giants and get as big as 6.9ft tall (that's the record i think). As you may well remember they are a lot leggier though.
Well, pardon me...

Where abouts were you working? I used to clear roos on a property too but post licensing laws. Almost feels unsporting doesn't it... they just stand there and look at you. It isn't so hard to jump through the gun licensing hoops but I wouldn't bother now days as I don't see the point/ no longer need one.
I had to give up mine. It's a story not for public consumption.:confused:

Not sure when you lived here but it may interest you to know that roo meat is quite popular here now and can be bought at any supermarket (in my area anyway). We eat it often and no complaints here :) The main advantage is that it is relatively low fat and cheap. The shooting industry for bush meat (pigs and roos) is quite large now too and many pros do quite well.
I still have a house in Melbourne (Victoria) fronting Port Philip Bay. We have our young son taking care of that property. He doesn't want to live here in the US. We visit 2x a year and I am due to go back this August. Yes, I have seen them in supermarkets here but never touch them. The kids did. We used to get invited to shoot them in the Buninyong area. It was the company and the fun and the biggest roo bars for our ute, the better. I had my redneck days so to speak then I got married.:heart:

Haha I have spent ALOT of time in the bush and even in the right areas and I am still yet to see a bilby. Not an easy thing to see from all accounts. You will have to come back and go searching :)

All the best.
Dan
I thought when I saw the Royal visit photographs on the magazines here, it is easy to find. That was why I asked.:waiting: I still haven't seen one in person. Maybe the zoos have them?

Nice to chat to a fellow Aussie.
Cheerios...

Yeah really good to talk to a fellow aussi :) Haha similar story regarding the redneck days. Sorry hope I didn't bore with the red/ grey info. I'll keep an eye out for bilbies but yeah zoo may be an easier option :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back