sm4him

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
sm4him.500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I wish I could take credit for this idea, but I can't. Another photographer had shared some of them on FB and I knew I had to try them!
Then the Polar Vortex came south and it was so cold I couldn't stand to go outside for more than about two minutes.

But this morning, I got my chance. It was still really cold for these parts, in the lower 20s--but compared to the past two days, that seemed, if not balmy, at least tolerable.

So, I found my little bubble maker machine and headed outside to give it a try. What fun!!!
I actually can't wait for it to get cold enough here to be able to try it again, but it looks like that won't happen now until sometime next week.

If you want to try these yourself: I used homemade bubble solution, but I think the store-bought stuff would work just fine. The REAL trick is to either use a bubble machine or at least make your bubbles by *waving* the bubble wand in the air, NOT by blowing into the wand. If you blow the bubbles with your breath, the air inside them is too warm and it doesn't work as well. Using the ambient air allows the bubble to freeze better.

A few of my favorites:
1. Hole-y Bubble, Batman!

2. Bubble World

3. Swirling Bubbles

4. Bubble Collapse! Even when they finally collapse, they can create really cool shapes; I was already late for work at this point, so I really want to get to play with the collapsed ones some more.

5. My favorite from the set:

Jan9_3110editweb by sm4him, on Flickr

As always, C&C, general comments and witty banter are encouraged!

Oh what fun!! These are really cool, Sharon!

Dang. Why didn't I think of this when our temperature was -389C? Oh yeah, the wind was about 100 mph. Very nice, Sharon. So perfect, so delicate!

I've been meaning to try this, great set Sharon!

My daughter approves these photos.
p824264947.gif

Love these shots Sharon.

Very nice -- I saw that story and gave it some thought, but most of the really cold weather here was also pretty windy. Looks like you got some great results, though -- I like that last one best, too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back