Frozen in Time

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This place burned a few years back, it is so sad when a piece of history gets lost like this :( It is at the corner of a couple busy country roads and stands frozen in time.
Would love to hear your thoughts.
Thanks for taking a look!

Frozen in Time

Looks like there's an interesting subject back there, but the color and texture of the dominant foreground make me feel ill.

Thanks Ken, that would be either mustard or canola/rapeseed. I definitely want the motion around the house to illicit a reaction in the viewer but not sure "ill" is what I'm goin for ;) Perhaps a shorter crop for less foreground?

The color of the foreground is fine, and I love the "painted" quality, but it doesn't match well with the rest of the image. The bottom half is very warm, but the top half is very cold, possibly creating confusion.

I don't think describing the photo as 'sickness inducing' is very constructive, but what does a fly like myself know?

It's a great effort PixelRabbit.

Gadfly said:
The color of the foreground is fine, and I love the "painted" quality, but it doesn't match well with the rest of the image. The bottom half is very warm, but the top half is very cold, possibly creating confusion.

I don't think describing the photo as 'sickness inducing' is very constructive, but what does a fly like myself know?

It's a great effort PixelRabbit.

Thanks Gadfly :)
The separation of blur/clear/warm/cool was quite intentional, life carries on around the place as it stands frozen in time. Perhaps it isn't quite as successful as I would like though and will ponder a reshoot with different light.
No worries about Ken's "ill" remark, I know exactly what he was getting at ;)

I was reacting to the fact that it is oversaturated at least in the greens, which probably caused my visceral reaction to it, and also the fact that it is "dominant" as I said, by which I mean it occupies too much of the frame, and also its oversaturation draws attention to it and thus away from the buildings. I've seen motion and color effects on large areas like fields that work, but generally the large area occupies most of the frame and there are some small elements to provide scale or contrast, like mountains/sky or buildings/trees on the horizon. This shot is sort of in-between, where each part of the image distracts from the other part. You could crop most of the foreground and end up with a panoramic or crop the sides also (there's not much happening on either side) to get closer to a "normal" format. I'm not sure what the IQ would be at that point, but worth a try, and it may be an image that means something to you even with lower IQ.

I must say your style is really evolving.... i find much creativity in your present day images...please keep up the go :thumbsup:

Thanks so much Ken, Nandakumar and Mully.
Ken, great explanation, thanks for taking the time :) I am going to tinker with this shot a bit but ultimately I think another go at it is in order. This is really close to where I want it in a lot if ways, including the motion in the foreground but perhaps the warmth of the yellow is just toooo much, it should be brown or white soon enough!

Most reactions

Back