frustrated and want to give up

sbella

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am new to this forum. Hi! I have a Nikon d90.I used to shoot only film camera.So Im learning the digital stuff.Which is hard b/c I do not learn from reading manuals,I learn by doing and simple straight talk.I am not happy with my pictures and wondering what Im doing wrong.Sholuld I use vivid in my settings,and I absolutely hate the focusing mechanism!AF-A af-c AFS..which one is best and why?

I know you don't want me to say it but --- read the manual. Seriously give it a read (dull as it is) and then play with the camera - try out the controls and read how to operate them from the manual. If you fail to do this its much harder to control the tool because you don't know how to and further it makes application of the theories of photography much harder.

If you want a more direct interaction see if there isn't a local camera club you can join - most are open to new people and will have training days and the like. Further most photographers don't mind sharing advice/info so you should be able to find some basic introduction to learning to control your camera

If you liked the post processing effects of the darkroom, you might find it more fun to shoot in RAW?

The camera functions on the same principles as your film camera, you just get instant feedback. Are you having trouble with composition or things like exposure? I would suggust turning on highlight blinking to show where things are overexposed and reviewing the histograms on the camera after taking a shot. Then you can sit down and experiment with your favorite subject while you learn all the buttons / shortcuts / etc. Its fun!

X2.... post some pix, and why you don't like them.

If you can shoot film digital is childs play, if you shot lots of film i'm not sure why you are having trouble

Film cameras dont have a million different buttons and options!lol!

If you liked the post processing effects of the darkroom, you might find it more fun to shoot in RAW?

The camera functions on the same principles as your film camera, you just get instant feedback. Are you having trouble with composition or things like exposure? I would suggust turning on highlight blinking to show where things are overexposed and reviewing the histograms on the camera after taking a shot. Then you can sit down and experiment with your favorite subject while you learn all the buttons / shortcuts / etc. Its fun!

Highlight blinking?yikes,whats that?I have a problem with looking at others photos and saying"why dosnt mine look like that?"

I'll post some pics..may take me awhile tho.:)

Yes, you do learn from reading manuals. Stop the self-fulfilling, negative self-speak and apply yourself.

No one learns it all by reading the user's manual only once. I keep my camera user's manual in my camera bag so I always have it handy for looking stuff up in it.

I have probably read my manual all the way through 8 or 10 times, and that doesn't count all the times I've re-read sections of it.

You also have a problem with the space bar on your computer.

Last edited:
Yes, you do learn from reading manuals. Stop the self-fulfilling, negative self-speak and apply yourself.

No one learns it all by reading the users manual only once. I keep my camera users manual in my camera bag so I always have it handy for looking stuff up in it.

I have probably read my manula all the way through 8 or 10 times, and that doesn't count all the times I've re-read sections of it.

You Sir,are very rude . I have never learned from reading,it is a learning disability I have had my whole life . Keep nasty opinions to yourself.You Sir, also have a problem with misspelling words.

No one learns it all by reading the users manual only once. I keep my camera users manual in my camera bag so I always have it handy for looking stuff up in it.

I have probably read my manula all the way through 8 or 10 times, and that doesn't count all the times I've re-read sections of it.

You Sir,are very rude . I have never learned from reading,it is a learning disability I have had my whole life . Keep nasty opinions to yourself.You Sir, also have a problem with misspelling words.

If you have a reading disability I'm confused as to how we can help you through a forum where everything is based on reading. It would seem if you can read replies on a forum you can at least read a manual to a sufficient level to understand the controls over the camera and its basic operation.
Otherwise you're wasting your time here and would really be better served looking for a local camera club were you can get the face to face interaction that you are more receptive to learning from (note there might also be some evening classes in your area run by the local education groups which would also be an option to consider - though that would of course cost).

Please find another forum,you are really starting to aggravate me.Have a nice day and find someone else to be honry with.

Let he who is without sin cast the fist stone.

Your post isn't exactly going to get you an A+ in English class.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back