Frustrated with lighting

sbrooke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have researched and researched, and feel like I should be able to take indoor portraits fine, but sometimes I get really frustrated when i get the prints back and they are too dark or too bright, or there are shadows. Mostly an issue of too bright in one area of the portrait and too dark in others. I use lighting/flashes I have a soft box, and use a flash reflected into a refelctor and an external flash on my camera. I use a Canon D7.

Is your computer monitor calibrated?

Do you mean the 7D, rather than the D7?

You say that your prints don't look right....well, how to the images look on your computer screen? If they look good there, but not on the prints, then it's likely not an issue with your lighting, but with your monitor calibration.

Yes, or too that the print service might not be one that is best...

I have researched and researched, and feel like I should be able to take indoor portraits fine, but sometimes I get really frustrated when i get the prints back and they are too dark or too bright, or there are shadows. Mostly an issue of too bright in one area of the portrait and too dark in others. I use lighting/flashes I have a soft box, and use a flash reflected into a refelctor and an external flash on my camera. I use a Canon D7.
Here are some of my examples, Yes Canon 7D, and no my computer monitor has never been calibrated.

Its not letting me upload a pic The pic file gives an error icon that says undefined

Last edited:
You cannot upload to the forum. You must host the files somewhere like photobucket or flickr.

Got one uploaded in my "gallery" on this site I will try a couple more too

I have posted 2 in the gallery? They are showing up for me in the gallery

Looks to me that your flashes are too close and/or your umbrellas too small. You could probably compensate with fill lighting. It looks like you're shooting outside at night. ;)

Most reactions

Back