Fujifilm Battery Woes

Top_Shot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello Everyone!

I am an absolute beginner and not sure if this question makes sense. Let me ask anyway...

I have a Fujifilm FinePix S2800HD since a few months. I got this camera in Japan and got a set of batteries when I bought the camera
I started using the camera and started shooting pictures. For some reason, I wasn’t sure if the batteries lasted enough. I assumed that the first set doesn’t last long

I haven’t been using the camera much and a few weeks back, I wanted to explore and shoot some pics with the camera again.
So, I bought a new set of Zinc Chloride batteries and used them in the camera. Things seemed aright for the first few minutes, however, I was shocked when about 5 minutes later, it shut down saying the batteries were low. I tried turning on the phone again after a few minutes (repeatedly), but, no luck at all

Now, am not sure why this happened. I wasn’t sure what I was doing wrong or there was something wrong at all. Am I missing some trick here..?

Can you experts point to something..?
I would appreciate all responses. Thanks!

Buy better batteries. Zinc chloride are just about the cheapest type of battery available. They also decline in output (voltage) in direct relation to the demand. Very likely what happened was that your camera has a very high threshold for its low battery alert, and after just a few minutes use, while these batteries still had a fair amount of power, their voltage might have dropped to say, 1.35v causing the low battery alarm. Buy either Li or NiMh type batteries, which will be a lot more expensive, but maintain a constant voltage until they're just about expended and then drop to zero. You don't mention where you are in the world, but if you have access to brands such as Duracell, or Energizer, you'll have much better luck. Digital cameras are VERY hard on disposable batteries.

After looking up your batteries, what Tirediron said. Lithium batteries are the way to go. Using alkaline batteries with my P&S, I can about 400 shots, a few more if I really push it. With the lithium batteries I can easily get at least 2700+. Looks like your camera takes double AAs, your local Walgreens, Walmart, Fred Meyer's or Bi-Mart will have a four of Engergizer "ultimate lithium" pack for around $10.

A couple years ago a family friend 'helped' me out by giving me some rechargeable batteries. I can't remember what they were, but they were awful. The camera I was using then used way less power, and fully charged, the low battery icon showed the whole time and I'd be lucky to get 15 shots before it was too dead to power the camera.

Last edited:
Thanks tirediron and TCD for your quick responses. Alright, so, it could be the type of batteries...? Also, I googled about my problem and even though I couldn't find anything specific, I found lots if articles about charging the batteries. Do I have to charge my batteries before I use them in my camera? I didn't, in my case. Also, I am not even sure if the kind I have can be charged at all. Also, mine uses 4 batteries, need to check if anyone of them has some problem with it, just in case. Let me try experimenting with Li or Ni batteries and see how it goes. Thanks again...

Most reactions

Back