Full manual mode - comments welcome

LCARSx32

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lcarsx32.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been playing in full manual mode for the last few weeks. These are my favorites of what I've taken. I still need to play with aperture more. Up until a week or so ago, I didn't realize that aperture effected depth of field. Unfortunately, the lens I just bought won't let me control aperture :( because it's a Sigma EF (70-300mm f4-5.6) and they didn't reverse engineer the communications protocol quite right.

#1 - Half demolished bridge, Fenton, Missouri
bridge.jpg

#2 - Send help!
chest.jpg

#3 - Self portait
park.jpg

#4 - Not so fast
speedlimit.jpg

#5 - Watch out!
stop.jpg

I appreciate any comments!

looks like you are off to a great start! exposures look great.

I would have went with a slightly faster shutter speed on the last one. Other than that pic, the rest don't really look like there was any NEED for a manual setting. Tv or Av probably would have sufficed and been much easier to use. Although I guess practice is good. I would work on composition ( or atleast level and straighten stuff in Post more if you leave enough cropping room )

In my opinion, the three things that link all of these are:

The exposures are good.
the focus is okay.
The composition is Poor.

Noticed you mentioned aperture effecting the DOF,.. you can really have fun with this ;)

Keep shooting :)

I think #4 is extremely interesting. It looks like one of those optical illusions. Like the stairs that never stop rising. The reflection makes it look like mud is being poured on the sign but then you realize it's under water. Pretty cool IMO.

i don't understand how you think you can't control the apertures on that lens.

there are some built in limitations, ie. as you zoom out the fstop will change (at the low end) but you can still make changes.

as an aside as the lens zoom gets longer the dof changes as telephoto lenses compress more, so the dof gets smaller.

The first thing to work on is being able to tell if you are holding your camera level or not.

The second would be to explore the vertical camera orientation.

What would you guys change composition wise? Or are the subjects just bad subjects?

Thanks for the comments!
-Ray

Well some of the subjects are boring to me. I like the first pic, had you not cut off the lower right front of the bridge. You need to level your shots like KMH mentioned as well. Also, I didn't think to mention shooting vertical but this was very sound advice. I think you just need to work on subjects and angles/composition. Don't cut things off on the edge of the frame if its part of your subject. The last shot would have been cool with just a hair faster shutter speed to show more shape of the blurred car. Would have been better with an actual biker in the shot too maybe on the side of the road. Don't be scared to stage shots.

i don't understand how you think you can't control the apertures on that lens.

Because if you change the aperture to anything other than wide open, the camera gets an "Err 99" and freezes. You have to turn off the camera and turn it back on before you can try another shot. It loses the shot you were attempting. This is a known problem with using Sigma EF lenses on digital Canon cameras. It's a problem with the communication protocol used between the camera and the lens.

Thanks for the comments, everyone! I'll read up on vertical shots and consider them when thinking of shots.

interesting, since i don't use sigma lenses i won't be aware of that issue. why use them if they are creating issues.

Cause I can't bring myself to admit I wasted $80. lol. Next time I'll make sure to get a Canon branded lens. Or a Tamron; I hear they don't have the same issue. Apparently they're better at reverse engineering :lol:.

You live, you learn, I guess...

that is too bad. some third party lenses are better than others

It still takes good pictures for the most part, I'm just limited on DOF. It's also a bit "soft" when you start getting past 200mm.

I contacted Sigma because I read on another forum that if they had the parts available they would "rechip" the lens for free. Unfortunately, they didn't have the chip any more (not suprising).

They did offer a discount on a comparable lens. But I don't have an extra $128 to re-buy a lens. Plus I can get it on Amazon for $135 and I get to keep the one I have (or I can sell it;))

That's why you sould always read reviews BEFORE you buy something, lol.

the first shot..the bush in the foreground is in my way....

i like the idea of #4...its different. and different is always a good thing!

Most reactions

Back