Why I don't think we'll ever see IBIS

Discussion in 'Canon Cameras' started by TWX, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Sharpshooterr

Sharpshooterr No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    You might well be right but what would justify those numbers?
    I think it’s more in line with the 5Dmk4.
    At $3900 it’s $500 more than the Sony a7lV and more than the Canon 5Dsr but with a lot less mp than both of those.
    It’s very strong on video but that’s just the normal video progression.
    I guess we’ll both know soon enough!!!
    SS

2. TWX

TWX No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm going to guess $2999, possibly less if Canon's goal is to try to motivate full-frame DSLR customers to consider mirrorless. That slots it in between the 5D-IV and the 5DS/5DSR, resolution closer to but not quite as high as the 5DS/5DSR, but around 15MP higher than the 5D-IV, assuming it's 45MP. I do not expect it to be more expensive than the 5DS/5DSR unless they're awfully proud of the video capabilities and intend to push that feature hard.

3. kalgra

kalgra TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nothing would justify those numbers the same way $3000 is not justified for the RF 85 1.2 DS or any of the prices canon has put on their RF L glass but Canon always seems pretty proud of the stuff they put out as indicated by their ridiculous prices. If the R5 is everything it’s been rumored to be I don’t t think it will be any different.

don’t get me wrong I’d love to see it released at a much lower price but I’m preparing my self for the worst.

4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    It looks like IBIS will be here soon in Canon full-frame mirrorless!

5. Sharpshooterr

Photos OK to edit
    Yes it will!
    Canon say the IBIS of the R5 plus the IS in the lens will give a total of 8 stops!
    SS

6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Eight stops! Wow, that would be very useful in some situations.

7. dsingley

dsingley TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Most of the Pentax DSLRs IBIS. With a built in GPS (e.g., K -1) or the GPS accessory (e.g., K-70) allows for astrophotography w/o having to invest in an equatorial Mount or exposure limitation based on focal length. 3 min exposure 30mm FF equivalent. K-70.

9994D1DA-6225-485B-BD10-D147764AB3EE.jpeg

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sharpshooterr

Photos OK to edit
    Hmmmm, whats interesting here is that the moving part is still but the still portion, the ground, has blur?!?! SS

9. petrochemist

petrochemist TPF junkie!

Photos OK to edit
    Well if the sensor is tracking the stars you wouldn't expect the foreground to look sharp! I suspect the normal approach is to combine the stars with a separate foreground shot as it's the first example I can remember that shows the effect.

10. dsingley

dsingley TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

In defense of the image, this was only the third time or so that I had tried this, so my technique was probably not the greatest. I was more interested in capturing the Milky Way than the unremarkable beach in the foreground. Also, there was a fair amount of wind - enough to make me think that my tripod might not be up to the task. Used ISO 800. In my experience with the K-70, ISO 800 does not generate much, if any, noise. Probably could have gone to 1600 without much noise penalty - rookie mistake. Interesting foot note, I made a field expedient center weight for the tripod from a plastic grocery bag (stuck in my jacket pocket against the potential need for a center weight) and sand from the beach on which I was standing.

11. TWX

TWX No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Better than I'd have gotten on my first goaround. I'd probably be dragging my laptop out with me to review what I'd gotten in the truck between numerous shots, probably taking quite a bit of time to get the settings right, if not outright shooting tethered.

12. JBPhotog

JBPhotog No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Umm me thinks you are mistaken about the "w/o having to invest in an equatorial Mount". Built in GPS is only for geotagging the photos so you can use that data to see where you took the photo when you upload them to either Google Maps, Google Earth or any other map software that accepts geotags. Most DSLR's will accept a Bluetooth dongle which can communicate to a GPS data logger to achieve this function however, many cameras are now being offered with built in GPS for this purpose. I'm not sure how a focal length can limit exposure, most cameras have a 'Bulb' setting which allows you to keep the shutter open as long as you want. Focal length is not one of the exposure parameters in which to achieve correct exposure, ISO, shutter speed and F-stop are.

Your photo clearly shows camera shake from an unstable platform, likely your deduction of the wind and a less than stable tripod. There are methods to mitigate this you may want to explore.

In fact here is the geotag info from your star photo:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020