Why I don't think we'll ever see IBIS

I’m not sure if you misunderstood my previous thread. I never said IBIS didn’t work with non-VR lenses in fact I said the opposite; that’s the advantage of it with legacy glass and adapted lenses and the major benefit of IBIS over purely lens VR.

Olympus and Panasonic have Dual/Sync IS where the IS in the lens (OIS) and camera (IBIS) work together to provide greater IS than either OIS or IBIS itself.

BUT, the system has to be designed to work together. The OIS and IBIS have to communicate and function as a single system.
At present, the m4/3 standard does not included dual IS. So Dual IS ONLY works for the SAME brand camera+lens; Panasonic+Panasonic, or Olympus+Olympus, NOT a cross brand mix.
If you put a Panasonic lens on an Olympus camera, you will NOT have dual/sync IS. It is an either/or situation, OIS or IBIS, not both.

Olympus has a menu option that will allow the camera to use OIS if the lens has it, and if not fall back to IBIS.
Panasonic does not have a similar option. But then there are only TWO Olympus lenses with OIS, as of now, so there is little loss.

As for Canon.
Look at Panasonic. Their m4/3 system uses OIS (just like Canon R), recently they have put IBIS in some of their cameras. And with Dual IS function in firmware, those cameras can use both OIS and IBIS together. Canon could do the same in the future, and make a camera with IBIS.
BTW, this is the same for the Nikon Z50, which does not have IBIS.

Likewise Nikon.
Olympus uses IBIS, like the Nikon Z6 and Z7. Recent Olympus lenses have added OIS, and with Sync IS added to the camera firmware, they have Dual IS.
Nikon could do the same. Future Z lenses could have VR. And with a firmware update that will utilize both, they can have Dual IS.

But the "secret sauce" is in the IS communication between the camera and lens, and Canon and Nikon are not likely to make that public. So just like now, Sigma and Tamron have to reverse engineer the IS communication, to have their lenses function in dual IS mode. But only after dual IS has be put into the camera's firmware.

Last edited:
Canon EOS R5 leaked: 45MP, IBIS, 8K30, 20fps e-shutter, February reveal | Digital Camera World
I don't know what Canon is gonna do but it seems pretty reliably that a lot of people do.
If you have not yet seen this or the many articles all saying the same thing.
THAT the Canon R5 as it will be called INDEED has IBIS to the tune of 5 stops.
When combined with an IS lens it will yield a total of EIGHT STOPS of stabilization along with a few other firsts.
Sony's domination will probably come to a screeching halt!!! I'm sure Sony will continue to be a leader but where their road didn't even have a speed bump a year ago, suddenly tanks traps are appearing and it's starting to point uphill!
I read about 2 or 3 years ago in Peta Pixel that once Canon got serious about the ML market it wouldn't take very long for it to start to dominate the ML market just as it did the DSLR marked.
SS

Canon EOS R5 leaked: 45MP, IBIS, 8K30, 20fps e-shutter, February reveal | Digital Camera World
I don't know what Canon is gonna do but it seems pretty reliably that a lot of people do.
When combined with an IS lens it will yield a total of EIGHT STOPS of stabilization along with a few other firsts.
Sony's domination will probably come to a screeching halt!!! I'm sure Sony will continue to be a leader but where their road didn't even have a speed bump a year ago, suddenly tanks traps are appearing and it's starting to point uphill!
I read about 2 or 3 years ago in Peta Pixel that once Canon got serious about the ML market it wouldn't take very long for it to start to dominate the ML market just as it did the DSLR marked.
SS

B&H is now reporting the same in the link below and has the R5 listed as “coming soon” soooo it seems that at least most of this is true at the very least it will have IBIS. Most things I have seen have not confirmed 45MP so we’ll have to wait and see I guess but seems very possible. This camera is gonna pricey no matter what is has or doesn’t have.

SS

B&H is now reporting the same in the link below and has the R5 listed as “coming soon” soooo it seems that at least most of this is true at the very least it will have IBIS. Most things I have seen have not confirmed 45MP so we’ll have to wait and see I guess but seems very possible. This camera is gonna pricey no matter what is has or doesn’t have.

i don’t think it’ll be that much. It is a 5D level camera. ML tend to be cheaper than dslr so I’m gonna say around $2500 but it could be $3K!!!
SS

I’m gonna throw my bet in at $3500-3900 at launch.

You might well be right but what would justify those numbers?
I think it’s more in line with the 5Dmk4.
At $3900 it’s $500 more than the Sony a7lV and more than the Canon 5Dsr but with a lot less mp than both of those.
It’s very strong on video but that’s just the normal video progression.
I guess we’ll both know soon enough!!!
SS

I'm going to guess $2999, possibly less if Canon's goal is to try to motivate full-frame DSLR customers to consider mirrorless. That slots it in between the 5D-IV and the 5DS/5DSR, resolution closer to but not quite as high as the 5DS/5DSR, but around 15MP higher than the 5D-IV, assuming it's 45MP. I do not expect it to be more expensive than the 5DS/5DSR unless they're awfully proud of the video capabilities and intend to push that feature hard.

You might well be right but what would justify those numbers?
I think it’s more in line with the 5Dmk4.
At $3900 it’s $500 more than the Sony a7lV and more than the Canon 5Dsr but with a lot less mp than both of those.
It’s very strong on video but that’s just the normal video progression.
I guess we’ll both know soon enough!!!
SS

Nothing would justify those numbers the same way $3000 is not justified for the RF 85 1.2 DS or any of the prices canon has put on their RF L glass but Canon always seems pretty proud of the stuff they put out as indicated by their ridiculous prices. If the R5 is everything it’s been rumored to be I don’t t think it will be any different.

don’t get me wrong I’d love to see it released at a much lower price but I’m preparing my self for the worst.

It looks like IBIS will be here soon in Canon full-frame mirrorless!

Eight stops! Wow, that would be very useful in some situations.

Most of the Pentax DSLRs IBIS. With a built in GPS (e.g., K -1) or the GPS accessory (e.g., K-70) allows for astrophotography w/o having to invest in an equatorial Mount or exposure limitation based on focal length. 3 min exposure 30mm FF equivalent. K-70.

9994D1DA-6225-485B-BD10-D147764AB3EE.jpeg

Attachments

• 7F9D805F-8612-484F-95B2-D457CD264ED1.jpeg
    7F9D805F-8612-484F-95B2-D457CD264ED1.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 117
  • EFD61D04-D13D-4AD5-92BA-267665B03B83.jpeg
    EFD61D04-D13D-4AD5-92BA-267665B03B83.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 106
  • 842FCDF6-20BF-4708-990C-B5634D947522.jpeg
    842FCDF6-20BF-4708-990C-B5634D947522.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 115
Most of the Pentax DSLRs IBIS. With a built in GPS (e.g., K -1) or the GPS accessory (e.g., K-70) allows for astrophotography w/o having to invest in an equatorial Mount or exposure limitation based on focal length. 3 min exposure 30mm FF equivalent. K-70.

View attachment 186909

Hmmmm, whats interesting here is that the moving part is still but the still portion, the ground, has blur?!?! SS

View attachment 186909

Hmmmm, whats interesting here is that the moving part is still but the still portion, the ground, has blur?!?! SS
Well if the sensor is tracking the stars you wouldn't expect the foreground to look sharp! I suspect the normal approach is to combine the stars with a separate foreground shot as it's the first example I can remember that shows the effect.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back