Shot at 250 mm Exposure:Manual exposure, 1/800 sec, f/8, ISO 100

FullMoon-Jan1911.jpg

Nothing here...

<!-- message -->
<div id="post_message_2140740">

I think it's good, let me know.
</div>
<!-- / message -->

Must have been bright as hell to get a 1/800 shutter speed. I'd expect 1/200, two whole stops more.

Nice and sharp, no chromatic aberration.

I think the moon looks best when it's not full though, so you get some detail in the craters and some shadow.

Must have been bright as hell to get a 1/800 shutter speed. I'd expect 1/200, two whole stops more.

I think the moon looks best when it's not full though, so you get some detail in the craters and some shadow.

Yes, the moon was extremely bright last night. I was out looking at it.. and actually saw a shooting star fly by right next to it for the 2nd time in my life. I know those are common, I just never see being that I'm in the city.

The full moon is always MUCH brighter (can be anywhere from 1 - 2 stops brighter than the night before or after the full moon. Last night I had a much lower shutter speed.
Definitely agree that the moon looks best when NOT full, but I'm trying to do a series of moons, from new moon, to 1/4 moon, to 1/2 moon to 3/4 moon, to full moon and then the same stops back to new moon, and to present it as a time line.

Yes, the moon was extremely bright last night. I was out looking at it.. and actually saw a shooting star fly by right next to it for the 2nd time in my life. I know those are common, I just never see being that I'm in the city.
I would love to find out when the next meteor shower is supposed to be, go out far from the city lights and set up my camera, I imagine there could be some really good photos taken.

Great shot, i was planning on shooting last night, but it was to cloudy... Hopefully tonight will be better!

Great shot, i was planning on shooting last night, but it was to cloudy... Hopefully tonight will be better!
Thank you.
Just remember, it will be much brighter as a full moon, and you will have to play with your exposure. It's not easy to get a proper manual focus, because you don't have the shadows of the craters, but if you look for and focus on 1 of the bright sharp dots on the surface, that will help you gain good focus (on the flip side, with all the shadows from the craters when it's not a full moon, it is also easier to tell if the shot is out of focus or not).

Good luck!!:thumbup:

Looks good for 250mm. Nice image!

Looks nice! A lot of empty space at the bottom. But the moon itself is very clear, very nice!
Thanks, I was trying to keep to the rule of 1/3rds, hence the extra space bottom and left.

Hear that. Wouldn't hurt to crop a bit of the bottom off. Just my 2 cents though :) Otherwise that's pretty cool.

I would love to find out when the next meteor shower is supposed to be, go out far from the city lights and set up my camera, I imagine there could be some really good photos taken.

I like that idea :thumbup: I kinda want to do it now. Too bad I live by NYC and there's a lot of light pollution. Gotta branch out for that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back