So, I've been asking for help on the lighting, I'm ready to make my order, I think...

misstwinklytoes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been talking about my first lighting set up here. I think I'm ready to make my order, but I need to know if anyone has used this flash:

Amazon.com: Sigma EF-610 DG ST Electronic Flash for Canon Digital SLR Cameras: 47th Street Photo

I also need to know if anyone knows if there will be a problem with that flash and this stand... :blushing:

Amazon.com: CowboyStudio Strobist Kit Photography Photo Studio Flash Mount Umbrellas Kit: Camera & Photo

I have those two items in my cart along with the following items:
Amazon.com: CowboyStudio NPT-04 4 Channel Wireless Hot Shoe Flash Trigger Receiver for Canon EOS, Nikon, Olympus & Pentax Flashes Other products by cowboystudio: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: 24"x36"LARGE PRO PHOTO LIGHT SOFT BOX SOFTBOX & SPEED RING: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Westcott 301 Photo Basics 40-Inch 5-in-1 Reflector: Camera & Photo

Please keep in mind that I know these are cheapos. I don't expect them to last forever, but I figure they'll be good for me to learn with (and drop, break, knock over, etc.) until I figure out what I'm doing. :lol:

I guess I don't know if they're going to work with each other and it's something that I'm hoping someone can help me understand how to tell for future reference and before I make the order. :confused:

I figure for $350.00 I can't really go wrong unless the stuff just flat out doesn't work at all. Obviously I hope that isn't the case and that's why I'm putting out a final call for help.

TIA :hugs:

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
In the Cowboy Strobist kit, the umbrella is to small for anything other than head shots, the light stand doesn't go high enough, and be really careful with the umbrella bracket that you don't break it.

The large Pro Photo Soft Box has speed ring for a monolight, not a hot shoe flash unit.

I've never used a Sigma flash and I didn't look at the Cowboy triggers.

Keith, do you have any recommendation on another kit that I could get better for less than $80.00

I have those cowboy triggers, and while they are OK, they do misfire more often then I like, so I've now just set my camera to be the commander, but I don't think Canon can do that, so for 25 dollars, yes, I would say they are totally worth it and I'd buy them again if I ever needed.

The other options are like 250 each, so.........

Gary, I dunno. That's why I'm asking for help. To make sure I am not buying something I can't use with the flash, etc. Then end up needing something I don't have cause I ordered the wrong thing. :)

Craigslist around me has like jack... other than kit lenses and camera bodies. :lol:

But I do look often! :)

I have that same cowboy studio trigger. Works fine :)

I did have a hard time getting a "clean" one from cowboy studio though. THe first one they sent me was COVERED in dust and the packaging was cracked. They fought me on exchanging it but eventually did. The one they sent back still wasn't clean but it was significantly better than the first one so instead of dealing with the headache, I just kept it.

Just thougth I'd throw that out there :)

Let me know how that flash does for you :) I am thinking about getting a TTL flash. The one I have right now is a vivitar 285-hv and I rarely use it because I can't get the exposures right with it. I'd rather just have TTL and have it "auto" expose the shots and then I won't have as much to fix in post.

yeah.. you need a studio light for that.

don't use the PVC for your own backdrop stand. It is going to cost you more in effort and frustration then a cheapie one from ebay.
I bought a portable backdrop stand that goes from 10 to 20 feet for 40 dollars and it included a case to carry it in.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back