full moon

amartin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
can someone tell me what setting i can use to get a shot of the full moon tonite i tryed but just can not get a shot of it. my camera is a cannon t3i with a EFS 55-250 F/4-56-LENS

can someone tell me what setting i can use to get a shot of the full moon tonite i tryed but just can not get a shot of it. my camera is a cannon t3i with a EFS 55-250 F/4-56-LENS

100 - 1/3 - f/16
200 - 1/60 - f/16
800 - 1/250 - f/16

My favorite was 1/100s, F11 and ISO 100 at 400mm

100 - 1/3 - f/16
200 - 1/60 - f/16
800 - 1/250 - f/16

1/3 of a second at 100 ISO.. that would be a good bit overexposed, I'm thinking! Check out the Sunny 16 rule Sunny 16 rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ooopsy. It's amazing how one little 0 can make such a difference;

100 - 1/30 -f/16

Why f/11 or f/16?

Why not 3 or 4 stops more aperture - say f/4? You could use 3 or 4 stops faster shutter speed 1/800 to 1/1600.
The Moon is 1.32 billion feet away. You don't need a small aperture for deep DoF. The fact the Moon is 1/4 of a million miles away takes care of that.

A 400 mm lens set to f/4 on a crop sensor has a near DoF limit of about 1.25 miles, and a far DoF limit of Infinity so the moon is well within the DoF.
A 400 mm lens set to f/1 on a crop sensor has a near DoF limit of about 5 miles, and a far DoF limit of Infinity

A 200 mm lens has a near limit of just over 1/4 mile to infinity.

I don't know. To me, using f/11 or a smaller aperture for the full moon is like me stepping outside after hearing about a forest fire in Brazil, and expecting to smell the smoke here in Iowa. :scratch:

The moon can be done a number of different ways
For instance, this was shot at F7.1, ISO 400....at 1/2 second.
No photoshop here.
Additionally, I can't think of a reason why one would shoot the moon at f16, or even f11.

6833255253_5f26a8db58_z.jpg

Use the ones that give you the exposure you desire. If you don't know what or how to do that then stick around a while!

Why f/11 or f/16?
I don't know. To me, using f/11 or a smaller aperture for the full moon is like me stepping outside after hearing about a forest fire in Brazil, and expecting to smell the smoke here in Iowa. :scratch:

When someone using a lens that the max aperture of the longest focal length (i.e.300mm or OP's 250mm) is f/5.6, f/11 is 2 stops down and usually that is the sweet spot of that focal length. So it make more sense to use f/11.

I think the question was "can someone tell me what settings i can use to get a shot of the full moon tonite"
My point, in providing the list was the answer is endless.
Maybe I should have started at 1.4 and worked my way up.
Or
I could have give all 500 posibilities.
Or
I could have just given the perfect answer like you did.

I think the question was "can someone tell me what settings i can use to get a shot of the full moon tonite"
My point, in providing the list was the answer is endless.
Maybe I should have started at 1.4 and worked my way up.
Or
I could have give all 500 posibilities.
Or
I could have just given the perfect answer like you did.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to offend.
If by chance, I have, then accept my sincere apologies.
Aside from that I don't believe I've ever given a perfect answer to anything in my life.
Well except for a few times when good looking women asked me to marry them.
When you're as good looking as me, you have to say NO , sometimes.

Time for a mirror break.

Stopping down is not nearly as critical for a slow lens as it is for a fast lens Dao, because the slow lens is already in it's sweet spot at f/5.6. At f/11 diffraction effects can start rearing their ugly head.

Why shoot the full moon?

Like portraits made using flash close the lens axis, all the interesting detail is lost in the no shadows, flat lighting.

When the Moon is full, astronomers go to the bank before it closes, get $50 in $1 bills, take the night off, and spend the night hitting the topless bars.

EXIF Sub IFD

Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 1/320 second ===> 0.00313 second
Lens F-Number / F-Stop = 11/1 ===> ƒ/11
ISO Speed Ratings = 400
Original Date/Time = 2012:01:30 20:42:32
Shutter Speed Value (APEX) = 548864/65536
Shutter Speed (Exposure Time) = 1/331.99 second
Aperture Value (APEX) = 458752/65536
Aperture = ƒ/11.31
Flash = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length = 271/1 mm ===> 271 mm
Image Width = 738 pixels
Image Height = 630 pixels

Stopping down is not nearly as critical for a slow lens as it is for a fast lens Dao, because the slow lens is already in it's sweet spot at f/5.6. At f/11 diffraction effects can start rearing their ugly head.

Well, according to what I read from photozone.de and slrgears.com in the past, f/11 is the sweet spots for those consumer grade telephoto zoom lens at 300mm (or 250mm) from Nikon, Canon and Tamron (as far as the MTF chart goes). Of course, if you are using a f/2.8 lens, that's a different story. :D

Most reactions

Back