full moon

800mm (1280mm on 1.6 crop sensor)
f/11
ISO 800
1/320 sec

I used a high ISO because it was handheld and I was too lazy to get my tripod. It's also easier to noise reduce light areas without losing detail.

The main thing with the moon shots is to have enough lens (unless you're blessed with those great clouds) and to set it to underexpose, by a stop or so, so it doesn't wash out the moon while trying to make the near-black sky 18% gray. ;)

or you spot meter on the moon.. that actually works pretty well! :)

thanks everyone for your help. i did get a shot but it did not turn out to good 1/200s, f/11 and ISO 200 will try to post it later

Last edited:
davesnothere11 said:
Worked for me (I think)
First attempt at this, took a couple tries but this was best:

f8, 1/320. iso 100, 300mm setting with spot meter on moon

Looking good. Tried night before last with awful results but wasn't using spot metering and forgot to turn off VR while on the tripod (don't know if that contributed). Completely overcast last night when I went out.

davesnothere11 said:
Worked for me (I think)
First attempt at this, took a couple tries but this was best:

f8, 1/320. iso 100, 300mm setting with spot meter on moon

Looking good. Tried night before last with awful results but wasn't using spot metering and forgot to turn off VR while on the tripod (don't know if that contributed). Completely overcast last night when I went out.
Try the link above, it is very helpful.

The nice thing with the moon is that is moving slowly. You have the time to test many different triads ;)

I think the question was "can someone tell me what settings i can use to get a shot of the full moon tonite"
My point, in providing the list was the answer is endless.
Maybe I should have started at 1.4 and worked my way up.
Or
I could have give all 500 posibilities.
Or
I could have just given the perfect answer like you did.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to offend.
If by chance, I have, then accept my sincere apologies.
Aside from that I don't believe I've ever given a perfect answer to anything in my life.
Well except for a few times when good looking women asked me to marry them.
When you're as good looking as me, you have to say NO , sometimes.

Time for a mirror break.

No offense taken, but thanks.

And, oh, I can relate to the "good looking" problem. :er:

Most reactions

Back