Funny Article - Tripods are pointless when shooting digital

true he does not - but its not the same as telling Joe that using one will damage his images - nor is it helpfull that the example given (f22 vs handheld f8) is horribly bias in the results it will give. Granted there is more to the article than that, but that is the part that Joe will read - test and consider himself proven to not need the tripod.

Sometimes I think this is not working with new technology nor attempting to focus peoples interests and methods towards areas where they benefit - but more about beating the pro at his own game. There seems to be some sort of stigma or view that a pro is in some way being elite by using not only the best camera and lens, but also things as exotic as a tripod - just look at how many people think that anyone with a tripod is instantly a pro and yet anyone can pick one up for a handfull of £/$s in Tesco/Walmart.
By saying that you don't need a tripod in the way that the article does it seems to me as if its trying to convince Joe that he can beat the pro and (somehow) be above the (mythological) elite group that the pro is in.
Installing confidence is one thing - but out and out lies is another

- but out and out lies is another

but what is he lying about? it's all contextual.... relax all you Ken Rockwell haters and enjoy a little reading that I stole -

• Ken Rockwell is the Chuck Norris of photography
  • Ken Rockwell's camera has similar settings to ours, except his are: P[erfect] Av[Awesome Priority Tv[Totally Awesome Priority] M[ajestic]
  • Ken Rockwell doesn't color correct. He adjusts your world to match his.
  • Sure, Ken Rockwell deletes a bad photo or two. Other people call these Pulitzers.
  • Ken Rockwell doesn't adjust his DOF, he changes space-time.
  • Circle of confusion? You might be confused. Ken Rockwell never is.
  • Ken Rockwell doesn't wait for the light when he shoots a landscape - the light waits for him.
  • Ken Rockwell never flips his camera in portrait position, he flips the earth
  • Ken Rockwell ordered an L-lens from Nikon, and got one.
  • Ken Rockwell is the only person to have photographed Jesus; unfortunately he ran out of film and had to use a piece of cloth instead.
  • When Ken Rockwell brackets a shot, the three versions of the photo win first place in three different categories
  • Before Nikon or Canon releases a camera they go to Ken and they ask him to test them, the best cameras get a Nikon sticker and the less good get a Canon sticker
  • Once Ken tested a camera, he said I cant even put Canon on this one,thats how Pentax was born
  • Rockwellian policy isn't doublethink - Ken doesn't even need to think once
  • Ken Rockwell doesn't use flash ever since the Nagasaki incident.
  • Only Ken Rockwell can take pictures of Ken Rockwell; everyone else would just get their film overexposed by the light of his genius
  • Ken Rockwell wanted something to distract the lesser photographers, and lo, there were ducks.
  • Ken Rockwell is the only one who can take self-portraits of you
  • Ken Rockwell's nudes were fully clothed at the time of exposure
  • Ken Rockwell once designed a zoom lens. You know it as the Hubble SpaceTelescope.
  • When Ken unpacks his CF card, it already has masterpieces on it.
  • Rockwell portraits are so lifelike, they have to pay taxes
  • On Ken Rockwell's desktop, the Trash Icon is really a link to National Geographic Magazine
  • Ken Rockwell spells point-and-shoot "h-a-s-s-e-l-b-l-a-d"
  • When Ken Rockwell went digital, National Geographic nearly went out of business because he was no longer phyically discarding photos
  • For every 10 shots that Ken Rockwell takes, 11 are keepers.
  • Ken Rockwell's digital files consist of 0's, 1's AND 2's.
  • Ken Rockwell never focus, everything moves into his DoF
  • Ken Rockwell's shots are so perfect, Adobe redesigned photoshop for him: all it consists of is a close button.
  • The term tripod was coined after his silhouette
  • Ken Rockwell never produces awful work, only work too advanced for the viewer
  • A certain braind of hig-end cameras was named after people noticed the quality was a lot "like a" rockwell
  • Ken Rockwell isn't the Chuck Norris of photography; Chuck Norris is the Ken Rockwell of martial arts.
  • Ken Rockwell never starts, he continues

LMAO....brightened up my day....

Got any for why he doesn't use tripods?

Ken Rockwell doesn't need a tripod. He's so manly, his three feet are his tripod.

...maybe that was a little over the top :lol:

Brilliant....lol

Did you know that Ken never uses a flash? He just radiates extra awesomeness to light his subjects.

:lol: that was the stupidest thing I have read in a while .. he should post some 100% crops of these spectacular images so we can see how professional they really are.

Until he debuts his "Biceps of Steel", I will stick with my tripod.

I know....I will bow to the mighty Ken "Norris" Rockwell, for he would most certainly be able to effortlessly shoot with this at 1/10, f16 @ ISO 100.....

500.jpg

KR says he doesn't use digital for anything serious. What's a little camera shake to a snapshot?

I know....I will bow to the mighty Ken "Norris" Rockwell, for he would most certainly be able to effortlessly shoot with this at 1/10, f16 @ ISO 100....

that's nothing I could shoot with that thing one handed ... of course I would bust into tears when gravity ripped it out of my hand and it hit the floor. :mrgreen:

I realize this, but he said there was really no use for a tripod, not that there was no use for one in landscape photography. There probably isnt a need for one in landscape photography, but if you were shooting sports with a long zoom, you might need one.

I think KR often means well but ends up blurting out crap in the process. Again back to my example. Even if his fanbase is sending him f/22 photos and asking why they aren't sharp, then address the issue, don't fancy up some bull**** about if you don't use a tripod and force yourself to use an aperture that may not be the artistic direction you wanted to go in the first place.

If his target audience is Joe photographer then there is a problem. He is the first google hit, and Joe the photographer is not the only one reading his site. Now other people who genuinely want to improve their photography end up reading something that is utter rubbish. Want the perfect example? You dEARlEADER, you. I have seen you around this forum long enough to know that you are far above and beyond Joe the photographer along with many of the people on this site, yet a lot of people still take his word as gospel.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
(in regards t the really old cameras) You needed a tripod not just to hold the camera steady; you needed it to hold the camera while the photo exposed!
What? What does this mean?

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+2]Still Think Tripods Make Sharper Images? [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Try it yourself.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Make a shot from your 'pod at f/22. Then pick up your tool in your own bare hands and make some shots at f/8 or wider. Look for yourself. It's obvious.
This is where I couldn't continue reading. I understand Ken Rockwell is very biased and crazy. Alright. But I thought he at least understood the very basic fundamentals of photography.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Almost all lenses are sharpest around f5.6 to f11 and all lenses lose resolution by the time they get to f22. What the hell? Is Mr Rockwell an idiot then? I don't get it. Despite all the controversy, I thought he was at least a smart man.
[/FONT]

He is the first google hit...

That's his goal, not educating newbies. He spouts something that gets people riled up, and sits back and watches the hit counter turn over.

Then again, KR's bull**** is no deeper than much of what I hear/read at many photography websites. The problem is we all think it works the same way for others as it does for us, and it doesn't.

"Photography appears to be an easy activity; in fact it is a varied and ambiguous process in which the only common denominator among its practitioners is in the instrument." -Henri Cartier-Bresson

I know....I will bow to the mighty Ken "Norris" Rockwell, for he would most certainly be able to effortlessly shoot with this at 1/10, f16 @ ISO 100.....

500.jpg

Wow thats a big mother...what is it? Hand hold that Mr. Rockwell.....

Most reactions

Back