Funny how things change... (self contradictions)

PS. How do you battle the noise?

Don't know about Dan, but a finger in each ear usually works for me, accompanied by "La, la, la, I can't hear..." But that only works for some people. And only some of the time.
The funny thing is that this isn't far off. Basically stop listening to other photographers who tell you noise is bad, because it's limiting anyone to believe that.

Last edited:
Well, I guess the most flagrant contradiction was thinking I'd make this a career in some way. lol.
It only happens quickly for a select few. I know some absolutely amazing photographers who took 20 years before breaking through. Whenever I feel unsatisfied with where I am in my own career, I just remind myself of this and keep pushing forward.

Also, you can work as a retoucher too. I've made some good money already this year retouching other photographer's work.

For me, I originally got involved with photography with the intention to focus on landscapes and was not the least bit interested in portraits or abstracts or "fine art" photography. Now, 5 years later, shooting landscapes mostly bores me. I'm much more interested in the abstract or fine art possibilities when I'm framing a shot. And very surprisingly to me, I find myself more and more thinking about portraits.

I also originally fell into the ISO 100 or bust trap but had to learn to adapt to using a higher ISO because I am still afraid of my flash, lol. That is something I'm determined to master this year.
pgriz has the right idea. If you want to get good with flash, you just have to jump right in and get the experience. You might suck at first, but sucking at something is the first step to being really great at something.

t's taken a few years but we've trained you up well Dan
I can definitely attribute a portion of my growth to the feedback I've received in this forum, even if I didn't want to hear it at the time.

I used to compare my portfolio with the one that critize me, telling me, that their opinion didn't matter since they were less good than I, then I realize, their critics were valid, I was close minded. I thought I was good, now I know i'm not bad, but good, doubting, and with doubt, my desire to grows keeps pushing me.

I also used to think grain and noise were bad, now I shoot a lot at Iso higher than 800.
I also used to think that boudoir was all about bright light, now i'm in love with moody shots in low light situations.

Growing is fun! Not easy but fun.

I used to compare my portfolio with the one that critize me, telling me, that their opinion didn't matter since they were less good than I, then I realize, their critics were valid, I was close minded. I thought I was good, now I know i'm not bad, but good, doubting, and with doubt, my desire to grows keeps pushing me.

I also used to think grain and noise were bad, now I shoot a lot at Iso higher than 800.
I also used to think that boudoir was all about bright light, now i'm in love with moody shots in low light situations.

Growing is fun! Not easy but fun.
Moody low light is my fav!

Well, I guess the most flagrant contradiction was thinking I'd make this a career in some way. lol.
It only happens quickly for a select few. I know some absolutely amazing photographers who took 20 years before breaking through. Whenever I feel unsatisfied with where I am in my own career, I just remind myself of this and keep pushing forward.

Also, you can work as a retoucher too. I've made some good money already this year retouching other photographer's work.

One of my issues is that my visual sensibilities don't align with what people want to buy. I'm not a very good replicator of Pinterest, and I'm not "unique" enough to thrive on my personal "vision" or whatever you want to call it. I mean, I've taken very few photos in the last year and a half and what I have taken has been mostly mundane and garners very little response on all channels.

I don't photograph what/how people want, and when I do it's a one-off that doesn't translate into any other opportunities.

Last edited:

One of my issues is that my visual sensibilities don't align with what people want to buy. I'm not a very good replicator of Pinterest, and I'm not "unique" enough to thrive on my personal "vision" or whatever you want to call it. I mean, I've taken very few photos in the last year and a half and what I have taken has been mostly mundane and garners very little response on all channels.

I don't photograph what/how people want, and when I do it's a one-off that doesn't translate into any other opportunities.
I think you're wrong about your self perception. Seriously you're really good, but you're holding yourself back because you don't see it and you think your personal view of yourself is reality when it's only in your own head.

Don't know about Dan, but a finger in each ear usually works for me, accompanied by "La, la, la, I can't hear..." But that only works for some people. And only some of the time.
The funny thing is that this isn't far off. Basically stop listening to other photographers who tell you noise is bad, because it's limiting anyone to believe that.
I don't think noise is necessarily a bad thing at all and don't really care what "noise free" photographers say... I was genuinely interested in what do you do in PS to fix it, seeing your work...

I think you're wrong about your self perception. Seriously you're really good, but you're holding yourself back because you don't see it and you think your personal view of yourself is reality when it's only in your own head.
I agree with Dan.
@rexbobcat I totally understand, because I'm somewhat similar to you.
I'm on some kind of a "break" from photography trying to understand who and what I really am in photography... I realized that there's no way I could make compromises (well, if I absolutely had to I would of course). I can't replicate and can't be "serial producer" of "all the same" wanted images. Same portraits with slight variations... can't do that either... but the real problem is that I don't know what I can. And also, I think that success (any kind) will come to me when I'm ready and stand behind what I do.
I was scattered all over and didn't have any goal except that I want to learn as much as possible.

I'm not sure if any of this is applicable to you or if will help you any way ( writing this helped me though :) )

And also... I don't think you're "not "unique" enough to thrive on your personal "vision" or whatever you want to call it" You are unique and your work is unique. I think I already wrote what I think about your work. Take your time and think about you. What is "your photography"?

and oh, yes... I love your portraits :lovestruck:

eta: I've just been to your website. It's unsolicited I know, but my advice is to reorganize it, cull the number of images there... and also... where are those beautiful ballet dancer images? portraits of your friend you posted here?

There's a lot of heart in some of your photography.

Last edited:
Shooting for just over a year, I do not know enough to have a contradictory thought. I guess the biggest difference for me is that a more expensive camera doesn't give you better results. I thought I was upgrading to my D3300 when I bought the D7200. I have come to learn (expensive lesson) it is not the right tool for me so I am back to square one. The same thing happened when I was painting, I had to stumble my way through various tools and techniques to discover what and how I wanted to work. Two full truck loads later, I gave all my old stuff to my son. Buy & sell link coming soon...

that a more expensive camera doesn't give you better results. I thought I was upgrading

That my friend is why manufacturers are always offering newer/better models but never quite better enough to give you all that you need. Makes for repeat business :biggrin-93:

Seriously @rexbobcat , if I haven't made it clear yet, I absolutely love your work and you've been on my list of inspirational photographers for years. Please don't give up on yourself.

I don't think noise is necessarily a bad thing at all and don't really care what "noise free" photographers say... I was genuinely interested in what do you do in PS to fix it, seeing your work...
If it's excessive, I do a very minimal amount of luminous noise reduction and sometimes color noise reduction in ACR. If I were to post the full res photos here though you would still see noise in the photos, especially after sharpenning.

Most reactions

Back