FX or DX

gerardo2068

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I currently have the the D300s. I'm very please with it. I'm wondering why would I would go up with FX format? I'm sure at one point in the future nikon will upgrade their D300s for a better DX format camera. I'm not sure if at that point I should get the newer DX format camera or their entry level FX format camera (at that point I presume they would have also a upgrade for their D700 out too). The D4 is way out of my budget. lol Whats your point of view on this? Thanks. BTW I've been learning a lot from this forum!

It just really depends what you shoot and how. I have a friend who shoots aircraft so wants DX for the crop factor zoom. I like wide format landscapes so want a FX to use the 14-24. All depends what you want to do.

Go test them with a memory card, take the card home and view the image on your monitor. SHoot the same sceen at each major focal length just for fun.

What you see will provide the answer.

I went from D300s to D700 with only one regret...that I sold my D300s.

Low light ISO capability is way better on the larger sensor with the same pixle count and for that I am grateful. The comparatively shallower DOF is nice for portrait work too. The D300/300s is a great body, what about it do you want to improve by upgrading?

Oh ok. I will wait for Nikon to what their entry level FX and top level DX have to offer. I like to do travel photography and portrait. The widest lens I have is 18mm on DX and it's fine to me. My other lens is Max 200mm. And it's fine to me too. So what's that medium wide to medium zoom?

Yes I love that D300s! Actually I think I just want to improve the low light ISO capability. I find my self shooting in low light often. I think the new DX would be a good upgrade in that.

If you have the money go FX. Really that's what it comes down to.

I currently have the the D300s. I'm very please with it. I'm wondering why would I would go up with FX format? I'm sure at one point in the future nikon will upgrade their D300s for a better DX format camera. I'm not sure if at that point I should get the newer DX format camera or their entry level FX format camera (at that point I presume they would have also a upgrade for their D700 out too). The D4 is way out of my budget. lol Whats your point of view on this? Thanks. BTW I've been learning a lot from this forum!

You sound very unsure as to your reasons for wanting to upgrade to FX, which signals to me you do NOT need to upgrade to an FX camera! I wouldn't recommend anyone upgrade to FX without having a reason too... for a start have you seen FX lens prices compared to DX lenses?? Very expensive to say the least.

FX all day. If you shot with both you'd know quickly.

Yes, that's my main point. I wanted to see what's the benefits of FX to see if they would really apply to me. I'm happy with the DX format and yes I would like better low light ISO capabilities. But I would think the next model after the D300s would have some improvement. Even if it's minor. But the wider angle you get with FX is not a top feature in my list (would be nice but not at the top in the list).

Yes, that's my main point. I wanted to see what's the benefits of FX to see if they would really apply to me. I'm happy with the DX format and yes I would like better low light ISO capabilities. But I would think the next model after the D300s would have some improvement. Even if it's minor. But the wider angle you get with FX is not a top feature in my list (would be nice but not at the top in the list).

Its the whole gig the better camera offers. Controls and buttons, ISO, body build quality, faster focus....I can't think of what all else I immediately noticed going from a D7000 to a D700

Not backing up a football field to use decent focal lengths for better depth of field I noticed quickly too

I will check it out but at this point I can wait for their next 2 cameras. I'm not in a hurry. Just looking around while I wait to see the final product. Thanks

If you're ever around Tampa, FL you're welcome to use mine side by side with yours too

Most reactions

New Topics

Back