Gadget Infinity

plastii

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there.

I got this yesterday http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/product.php?productid=16766&cat=0&page=1 and I love it. I tested my SB-800 along with a cheap studio monolights http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/402654-REG/Impact_EX100A_2KI_Two_Monolight_Kit_.html , and everything works great. Before I got my Cactus wireless trigger I was thinking about getting the PocketWizard, but to be honest, I don't want it anymore. I got the trigger and three receivers for under $70(with shipping).
So far so good:)

Marek.

I've got a couple sets of those. I was using them on a shoot last weekend. They were working fine but then started to bugger up. The lights would fire but not sync with the shutter...so I was getting fully dark shots.

I tried both senders, I tried them on the hot shoe and connected with a PC cord. I tried a different camera...still the same problem. I had to abandon it and use a cord direct from camera to light.

I'll do some testing at home, but I'm disapointed with them right now. I've used them for a while without problems....maybe the batteries are starting to go....but I would thing that it would just stop working.

1. You cannot use the batteries that come with them. Documentation clearly states they are for demo purposes ONLY. I bought myself 4 extra batteries for $7 each for the transmitters.

2. Do the GI mod on the transmitter. It increases range from 30 to over 350 feet! This means that I can shoot 100 feet without concern or issues.

3. I hate the batteries that come in the receivers. Do the receiver battery mod, that way you can use simple rechargeable AA batteries that last longer.

Info on how to do the mods on my blog.

My tests:

Click on pic for bigger size.

I don’t really care about the range, but the battery mode looks pretty cool. I think I will give it a try and put it to the test – thanks JerryPH :thumbup:

Marek.

Even if the range is not important to you, it is a matter of consistency. If I can do 350 feet reliably, I can do 40 feet reliably, where if left "stock", their maximum range is about 30 feet. That's the only reason I did them. Have no reason to go beyond 50 feet that I can think of, but this lets me remain functional without worrying. :)

Mike, definitely a battery issue.

Hey Jerry thanks for the battery mod. I have the same set and I will be doing that mod tonight. I have that awesome shoot this weekend we were talking about. I'll get you some PP shots ASAP when I'm done.

I'll consider the battery mod...and maybe the antenna as well. I'd have to buy an soldering iron and all that, it might just be easier to buy the battery.

I don't have them with me, what is the battery for the sender (and reciever)? It looks like LR-V08? (and CR2 or something like that?)

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's a CR2. I'm going to do the mod tonight. I'll be stopping at the local Radio Shack on the way home.

Even if the range is not important to you, it is a matter of consistency. If I can do 350 feet reliably, I can do 40 feet reliably, where if left "stock", their maximum range is about 30 feet. That's the only reason I did them. Have no reason to go beyond 50 feet that I can think of, but this lets me remain functional without worrying. :)

Mike, definitely a battery issue.

.....good point - thanks.

I picked up a battery holder, a soldering kit and some wire...I'll try to do the mods tonight, if I can find time. I don't have any spare wire at home, so I had to buy a $12 package...90'. Do you think I have enough? :lol:

I forgot to look for the transmitter battery though. :(

My pleasure! Wasn't it easy? I am sure it took longer to heat up the soldering iron than it took to do the mods... lol

BTW, I don't want to take credit for something that I did not create and do not want people to think that it was my idea... I found this info originally on the strobist forum from a user called STROBOMONKEY, this is the guy that deserves the original credit for this mod. I just copied it and wanted to share my results. :)

I don't have any spare wire at home, so I had to buy a $12 package...90'. Do you think I have enough? :lol:

Man, that one little wire came out expensive for you!

BTW, Mike... one thin strand out of the 8 wires inside that cable is all you need... I'd hate to hear that you soldered like eight 12 inch piece of CAT5 and left this huge mess hanging from the outside of your transmitter... kinda would then look like GI dreadlocks or something... LOL!

It's solid copper wire...so no worries about that. I just hope I can fit enough into the unit. 22ga might have been too thick.

Most reactions

Back