Gahhh, the sky! [HDR]

naaaach

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I've been trying to make a few HDR images, and results are similar to what you see here...

screenshot20100915at709.png

In short, the result is horrendous. The brightness in the photo isn't balanced, but what really bugs me is the sky! I keep getting these 'borders' around my objects where they touch the sky. They're really annoying, and I even try to get rid of them in further post-editing but they just never seem to go away.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Its called Halos. What software are you using? I am guessing photomatix?

You are probably just pushing things too far. Thats why a lot of people on here despise HDR. Its a tool used to balance exposure in a scene that has a wide varying range of exposures, but the result should be a relatively normal picture once its balanced ( ie. no blown out areas or large areas of shadow where you lose a lot of detail ). Most people use it as a tool to get insanely altered images. ( if this is your thing I am not knocking it ) but it takes VERY good and careful bracketing to make this style work well, without "overbaking" it so that you get the problems you are seeing.

Also, how many images are you blending together on this? And at what exposures?

I only took 3 shots because I didn't have my tripod with me, and all in JPEG, not RAW. I gotta make a habit of shooting in JPEG + RAW soon, I'm used to 'conserving space'. xP

Archive.zip

That's the zip with the 3 exposures. I mean I'm not trying to 'push things too far', I just want a higher-contrast photo with rich darks and milder lights, but even on the minimal editing settings I get halos that stand out. Hrm.

And correct, I am using Photomatix...the workflow is a bit faster than tediously organizing everything in Photoshop.

Can you post the actual pics instead of the links. It says i have to download stuff and i dont want to. If you put the pics ill give it a try.

Here they are,

dsc0038f.jpg

dsc0039oa.jpg

dsc0040sf.jpg

Resized them a bit, these photos were quite large in size.

Were you looking for something like this?
OLpjx.jpg

Created with Oloneo http://http://www.oloneo.com/

That turned out quite nice. My preference is something a bit darker, with a bit more contrast.

But you can see what I mean with the halos...your shot was minimally edited and if you look at the picture closely, or at a different angle than normal then you will be able to trace the halos around the building. It's quite annoying, hm?

You might try out that Oloneo program, it's in a free beta period. It's kind of fun :)

Here's what my strange eyes saw when I saw your photo:

BuildingDrexedit.jpg

What kind of architects live in my head anyways? Sheesh!

Here's what my strange eyes saw when I saw your photo:

BuildingDrexedit.jpg

What kind of architects live in my head anyways? Sheesh!

This would be an amazing edit if a bit more light was brought upon the buildings! And thanks for the suggestions, I'll give Oloneo a try.

Here is what i got on a quick one i just used the first two. There is a little of the halo around the top of the building but it isnt too bad i dont think.

CityHDR.jpg

Your results came out better then mine. I've never had a great success with HDR. It probably has something to do with my limited knowledge of photoshop.

I like the distortion on the building...

Tweaked your image a little..

yvbN7.jpg

Most reactions

Back