Gary Fong Lightsphere...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't understand the amount of naysaying going on in this thread. It takes time and practice to learn how to effectively use any equipment. Consider someone trying to improve on the pop-up flash. They may get a 600EX-RT flash "because it takes such great flash pictures", mount it on their hotshoe, and find out (Gasp!) that their flash pictures are not much better than the pop-up flash pictures. Then they learn about bounce technique, off-camera use, what various modifiers can do, and guess what - the pictures are SO much better. If the equipment in the hands of a good photographer still gives crappy results, despite that photographer having tried various ways of getting the equipment to work, then probably the equipment is crap. But until someone goes through the learning curve, and thoroughly explores what the "new" equipment can do, the best we can say is that we haven't yet learned to use that equipment effectively.

Another aspect to consider is that there is rarely only one way to get something done. If there are (say) four different ways of achieving the same end-result, then arguing whether approach A is better than B, C or D is kinda sterile. We SHOULD know that there are several different ways to get our objectives accomplished, and then pick the method that is cheapest/fastest/easiest/(your favorite criteria) for deciding which of the four methods is most useful for your specific situation.

In my own case, as I progress down the learning curve, I often find some aspect that I haven't considered before, or some change in technique that would give me much better results. As I noted in an earlier post, I was turned to the Fong Lightsphere by seeing the results of a very good photographer. In her hands, the images were excellent, and when she explained to us the mechanics of how and where she uses it, it made a lot of sense. I have also seen the product mis-used and when you do have some knowledge of how the thing is supposed to work, then you can recognize that the usage observed is not optimal. Is that the fault of the equipment, or of the user? I would say user.

How many threads have we read about people having focusing/sharpness issues when they are trying to use their f/1.8 or f/1.4 lenses wide open? Again, there's a learning curve in understanding when and how to use that aspect of the lens, and in the hands of a skilled (as in knows what they are doing) photographer, the results are usually excellent. In the hands of someone who bought the lens but hasn't learned its use, the results are... well, you know.

It is my hope that when people make suggestions about which equipment is better (or not), they reveal their own position on the learning curve of that equipment. That's probably idealistic, but I'd like to know if someone has taken three shots or has taken 3,000 with the equipment in question, whether they have found the "sweet spot", or are still searching for it. Then it is more useful to the rest of us to know how the good photographers were able to adapt the equipment in question to their purpose. We're here to learn, right?

Derrel was right-on with his explaination of how PROFESSIONALS use light modifiers. My wife and I have been doing weddings for over 25 years--international award winning CERTIFIED, MASTER photographer, etc.,etc. I bought Gary Fong's Photo-journalist LIght Sphere when it first came out--had been using Stofens on all my flashes up to that point because you MUST use SOMETHING with on-camera flash--a professional does not use DIRECT on-camera flash on people!!

So, I was amazed at how well it worked with most interiors. If I have a cieling I angle the flash head at 45 degrees--which is where I usually have it--without the cap installed--and the results are always great--IF I ADJUST FOR THE RELECTIVITY OF THE ROOM AND CEILING HEIGHT WITH MY SHUTTER SPEED. That means I DRAG THE SHUTTER--slow the shutter-speed--until I get the look I want. Sometimes I use 1/60, 1/30, or 1/15th--it depends on the room.

BTW, these are NOT portraits! These are for candids--getting ready at her home or hotel, fun stuff, walking interiors, elevator shots, limo interiors, and of course the reception coverage.

MY portraits are usually done by WINDOW LIGHT, NATURAL LIGHT OUTSIDE, or If I have to studio style lighting inside.

Another area the Fong LIght Sphere really shines is in close-up photography. At the cake table ( WHEN I DON'T HAVE WINDOW LIGHT ) I always do images of the cake with their invitation, rings, toasting glasses, flowers and special decorations that my wife puts together very artistically--we've actually won several international awards ( both PPA and WPPI ) for this usually very cliche type of wedding photography!!

The trick with close-ups with the Light Sphere is to point it STRAIGHT-UP WITH NO CAP ON TOP. Again, I'm also dragging the shutter and on a tripod.

I'm not as happy with the newer collapsing Light Sphere because it's heavier than my old style and the weight can over come the flash head's detents allowing the unit to drop-down from the 45 degree to the 90 degree--pointing straight at my subject--the worst possible position!!

Anyway they're great tools--would not do a wedding without them!!

I see a thread that's 8 pages long and I go... hmmm... I wonder.

Yup, sure enough. People are being nasty to each other.

Everyone put your sharp objects away and be nice or I'll lock the thread.

Man, go ahead.

The children ruined this thread by the end of the first page...

Man, go ahead.

The children ruined this thread by the end of the first page...

And that comment is helping... how?

It takes two to fight, Steve. I think you should know that by now.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back