gary fong pop up flash diffuser

Kofman13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i just bought a new lens and am strapped for cash for an sb-600 which i still want in the future, and i was thinking of some diffuser solution for my popup flash, what do you guys think of this gary fong popup difusser?
Gary Fong Puffer Pop-Up Flash Diffuser PUF-RETAIL - B&H Photo

there are other cheaply made similar attachments on ebay for only a few bucks

i want to enhance my lighting with popup flash for super cheatp!

I milk jug is cheaper, and just as effective.

Forget the milk jug, that is overkill for popup flash :| at least in my opinion!

A white index card is superb, I actually keep a stack just in case I feel a bit crazy. Those are really better for bouncing though, for direct diffusion I use a small slice of cardboard with a square cut out for the light to pass through diffused by layers of tissue paper.

I like using my pop-up flash as an on axis fill a lot :3

Shmne, you could do the same with milk jug and various other translucent materials. ;)

Forget the milk jug, that is overkill for popup flash :| at least in my opinion!

A white index card is superb, I actually keep a stack just in case I feel a bit crazy. Those are really better for bouncing though, for direct diffusion I use a small slice of cardboard with a square cut out for the light to pass through diffused by layers of tissue paper.

I like using my pop-up flash as an on axis fill a lot :3

interesting idea :) but as for the ones on ebay, is the gary fong and the cheaper one the same?

Oh I'm sorry, I just meant the milk jug (at least for me) always came out clumsy :| Where as with the cardboard I could actually mount it easily. Guess I just got excited, I have a bad problem with that when it comes to making fun little items

**Edit**
And as far as the gary fong vs. imitators the reason I brought this up in the first place (sorry, I lost my placing) those little nick nacks for the pop up flash just aren't really worth it unless you must have something that is made for you. If you were worried about the ones for a strobe flash I could understand looking pro is more important than saving a few bucks (not sarcastic at all btw, I firmly believe you need to look the part).

The cheaper ebay item will work well, any translucent material will work well. The question is the quality and the durability, which chances are the cheaper one won't have much of either.

I use the Gary Fong buffer all the time. It works great. A lot of time I do not want an external flash cause it's heavy and bulky. Plus the puffer mounts nicely and cost $25 retail. I think it's totally worth it.

Last edited:
Here's a couple shot I took real quick. Not a great example but I hope this help.

setting for both: 50/2 prime, Auto WB, 1/30th sec, f/11, ISO 200, Spot Meter, jpeg output, no PP only cropped and resized

With diffuser:
4859482614_30cda4f89e_b.jpg

without diffuser:
4859482532_192b1391cc_b.jpg

Most reactions

Back