Gas Mask Photo Series

tekzero

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.micahweber.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
this started for a magazine based in England, i sent over all the work to be submitted for print, haven't heard anything back yet so i am going to post these up and add them to my site. the original premise given to me was 'future' and i depicted it in a time where wearing gas masks were recommended.

This shot is my little brother on top of a garage, i had my other bro spray water straight up so it would fall straight down, i took the shot from the top of a ladder facing up the slant of the roof, this was the first shot in the series, basically a promo shot for the rest i suppose:
maskjessv.jpg

These next to depict a normal civilian waiting for a bus, shot on Delaware Ave in Tonawanda, in front of the Valu plaza, there were a ton of cars honking their horns it was crazy but great.
bstop1.jpg

this one is very candid in the sense with the car passing in mid shot, some grittiness to this shot that i like.
bstop2.jpg

These next few show street bike riders cruising and some being candid.

the first shot has the idea of just passing by, i wanted the far bike to be in focus and a slight turn of his head towards the camera, turned out the way i wanted it too
maskbikes.jpg

the next shot was ok for me, more to have for fun but the final image is cool and will be included in the series as well. its not very candid, but an interesting shot nonetheless.
maskbike.jpg

this shot is great, shows some firefighters in the far background in front of City Hall in Buffalo, and these guys are chilling at a stop sign, candid.
maskbikes2.jpg

this shot here shows a girl walking away from the guy on the bike, the story could be anything really, possibly an attempt and talking to the girl and her walking away, or the biker simply admiring a passer by, many ways to interpret, which is a great thing to have with art anyways-
maskbikegirl.jpg

now these 2 might be of where someone is brought into a hospital, with a mask on. the first one here shows a patient first getting into their bed with the mask still on.
maskbed.jpg

..and with a nurse taking the patient's mask off
maskbed2.jpg

this last one is basically just an extra shot, it was taken with the mask laying on a basketball court behind the aquatic center in the town of tona.
looks very cool in print.
maskred.jpg

i think i would like to continue adding to this series, but it has been this collection of shots for quite a while, so it is these for now. i hope to present these in physical form at a future exhibit.

thanks for reading and looking.

art is freedom. holler.

Last edited:
A very interesting series with a lot of style. The third shot is the standout for me. I really love the colors and processes you used with this entire series. I don't even really know what else to say; this series is just extremely impressive to me.

I love each and every one of them. #2 is my favorite by far though. It relays both a sense of now and the future to me somehow. Hard to explain. I love how the eyes are drawn to the mask(s) in every photo. The female wearing the mask is great too, it adds another emotion to the photos. And lastly, the last shot is fantastic. Nothing more needs to be said. Wonderful work!

Derrick

Very powerful images indeed.

VERY powerful series.

I'm particularly fond of number 2 and just how candid it feels. All of them have a candid type of thing going on...but that one feels the most candid and realistic of the bunch.

And...the mask on the court...seems to tell a story as well. Even if it is a story without a very good ending...

Very evocative series..... Pink Floyd-ish in nature.

I like the bus stop in #2, but Dollar Tree & Keybank in a seemingly semi post-apocalytic world.......

Seen the concept many times, but well executed nonetheless. That said, I would do something about the compression halo in #1.

This is a great series, thanks for posting. My favourite of the lot is the last one, which you posted here a while ago.

I initially thought that the guy in bed at the hospital (#8) was holding a razor blade in his right hand. It seemed perfectly fit to me, until I realized that I was seeing visions...

This is a great series, thanks for posting. My favourite of the lot is the last one, which you posted here a while ago.

I initially thought that the guy in bed at the hospital (#8) was holding a razor blade in his right hand. It seemed perfectly fit to me, until I realized that I was seeing visions...

That might be a great idea for a future shot! :thumbup:

Tek what a great series! How on earth did you come up with this idea? I am a big fan of #2 #5 and the last one. But like the others, I think all of these shots are great! Fantastic job, and well done. I hope to see more of these in the future!

These are all great! Gas masks are cool :)

How did you get permission to use a hospital bed?

well my lil brother was actually admitted to the hospital for some stomach thing, he was there for a couple days and he txt my phone with "gas mask in hospital?" and i txt back "ON MY WAY"

One of the coolest set of photos I have seen here in a long time. Very excellent work.
2.gif
2.gif

Thanks for sharing these.

Awesome awesome set... How did you get so many gas mask though? I've wanted to do something with gas mask before..

All very, very cool. I love this set. I was curious about 6, did the firefighter wear a mask for the shot or did you add that. Really cool touch either way.

Most reactions

Back