What's new

Gas Station Night Photo

yes there is way too much noise in the image, i saw you were using a tripod were you also using a remote shutter relase cable?

also there is too much black (empty) space, move in closer so there is more to look at
 
By jstuedle: "I think the 30 sec. exposure is the problem. The sensor will start to get warm and noise will rear it's ugly head. (even at minus 21 degrees) I would try an aperture more like f/5.6. This will make your exposure more like 8 sec. This should be well within the XT's capabilities. Also, try bracketing your exposure, like 4-8-16 sec. This will negate the need to lighten up the image in post. Hope this helps."

Thanks for your help.:thumbup:
Out of all the responses you are the only one offering help.

I'll go and make another photo and use your suggestions.
 
.... alright

Well, look at it this way. When a person without much knowledge about photography comes in asking for a comment on his photo it's easy to say how lousy the photo is, but it's a nicer thing to tell that person how to improve.

Just my two cents. No harm done.
 
I would try for shorter exposure time and also work on the composition a little, maybe include the whole truck or more of the gas station.....

other than that I think you have a great idea and with the proper composition and exposure it could turn out great!
 
Well, look at it this way. When a person without much knowledge about photography comes in asking for a comment on his photo it's easy to say how lousy the photo is, but it's a nicer thing to tell that person how to improve.

Just my two cents. No harm done.
we wren't trying to say it was lousy. Just awestruck that the XT did that, its not your fault noise was there, YOU did the smart thing and used ISO 100, I would'nt of been able to help you if all I was doing was scratching my head about that. I shot with an XT for 9 months and never saw that much noise even at 30 seconds at ISO 400, I don't know about others but whern I see somehting like that, I can;t focus on anyhting else, so looking at the photo I could not give you a critique as I was distracted. Next time, post your EXIF data because Firefox does not show it, so I didn't know what to tell you, if I had seen 30seconds @ F/22 I would've reccomended that you go to 20 seconds in TV mode and let the camera pic an aperture for you.
 
The camera was in TV mode. And the data was in the link I posted.
But yes, next time I'll try a shorter exposure.
It might work out better.

Thank you.:thumbup:
 
IMG_5935.jpg



Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT
Exposure: 0.002 sec (1/500)
Aperture: f/8
Focal Length: 170 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Exposure Bias: 0/2 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire
 
Could the site he's uploading it to add the noise??
I don't know much about this stuff, just a thought.
 
You should figure out what's causing the noise, just to know.

Personally I like the look, especially the dark blue sky at the top, it simulates the sort of look you would get from an hd or dvr cam at night...adds another layer of realism . If you cropped the left side out of your photo I think you'd have something pretty sweet...just the truck rolling up in the darkness.
 
I like it. It has a very "I Know What You Did Last Summer" feel to it.

Keep it up.
 
I like the pics aswell..especially of the plane!
 
You should figure out what's causing the noise, just to know.

Maybe it happened when I was cropping/fooling around with it in iPhoto.
I will pay more attention to it in the future when adjusting in iPhoto.
 
I went out this morning (cloudy sober day) and made a series of photos.
I shot 10 subjects. Each subject I shot 2x, one time at 100ISO and one time at 1600ISO.

After putting them on my iPhoto I saw only a very slight difference between the two ISO settings. The ones shot at 1600ISO were a little darker, much not much.

My question is: should there be a "big" difference between the two settings?

I used the P mode on my Canon Rebel XT EOS

In general I find it hard to get a nice photo on a dark cloudy day, but I guess that's normal?! There's snow on the ground here, does that have an effect on this as well?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom